Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Chevelle Malibu (Convertible)
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before but my body/paint shop painted my 67 with these gaps. The front fender bows out at the rear tire and causes a gap at the rocker molding…please help.
Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Water Hood Automotive mirror Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
go look at 66-67's on ebay.seems at least half of em are like that.and it bugs the crap out of me too.you might try loosening the fenderwell bolts the bolt on the bottom of the fender and the bolts on the top of the fenderwell above the tire and see if you can move the front of the fender in,that should push the back out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
go look at 66-67's on ebay.seems at least half of em are like that.and it bugs the crap out of me too.you might try loosening the fenderwell bolts the bolt on the bottom of the fender and the bolts on the top of the fenderwell above the tire and see if you can move the front of the fender in,that should push the back out.
I have tried everything, and the body shop also according to them. I just wouldn’t have laid down paint until I got that straightened out, now you run the risk of paint damage.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I would start by removing the rocker moulding and front tire then loosen the fender bolt from underneath. Usually that is used to move the bottom in and out but also to shim underneath the bolt and get the right curvature of the fender to match the door. It looks as if you may be able to get a little of the twist out using that bolt and the two inner fender bolts that are behind the tire. If I had to guess, I'd say that your inner fender is pushing that front edge of the fender outward and causing the twist and you may have to play with the inner fender overall to get it to stop doing that. I think you can fix this.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has to twist,you can see how it's distorting the rocker trim.the front has to come in and the only thing thats gonna stop it is the fenderwell.is it an original or aftermarket??
it has to twist,you can see how it's distorting the rocker trim.the front has to come in and the only thing thats gonna stop it is the fenderwell.is it an original or aftermarket??
Original, both sides are that way, driver is worse. I never noticed for years, I had Malibu trim and when it was painted last week we installed the SS trim.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would start by removing the rocker moulding and front tire then loosen the fender bolt from underneath. Usually that is used to move the bottom in and out but also to shim underneath the bolt and get the right curvature of the fender to match the door. It looks as if you may be able to get a little of the twist out using that bolt and the two inner fender bolts that are behind the tire. If I had to guess, I'd say that your inner fender is pushing that front edge of the fender outward and causing the twist and you may have to play with the inner fender overall to get it to stop doing that. I think you can fix this.
I haven’t tried the inner fender bolts but the body shop said they did…I guess if you want it done right you have to do it yourself…I would have never laid down paint with that issue and they installed the rocker molding that way and thought it was quality work…I’m so mad, nothing but issues with these guys. Burnt through the clear when buffed, runs in the paint on rear strip, hood, driver door and now these fenders all issues…and they said it was ready for pickup. I’ve been there 3 times for pick up and another issue every time…sorry on a rant!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts