Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my new SS harness and replacing the Malibu harness, and so far everything is going well. I marked most of the wires on the Malibu harness to help me hook up the new one. But I have some questions that the wiring diagrams aren't answering...

For as long as I've had this car, I SHOULD know but I'm drawing a blank right now. Isn't there supposed to be a light for the glove box? I hooked up an orange wire to the black switch, but where is the bulb?

On the new harness on the brown wire going to the heater, there is a 3" wire with a male plug that comes back out of the 4 wire connector. The old harness didn't have that. What is it for?

I'm putting an original radio back in and it has a plug which takes 3 wires. A black and green speaker wire and a yellow power. BUT out of that plug are two more plugs. One is the green and black wire, but the other is tied to the forementioned black wire along with another black wire. What do those do?

I found a blue wire tucked up under the dash with a funny U shaped connector and it runs to the trunk. Was that for the trunk light? (which I've never had) Where does it hook up under the dash?

------------------
my 67 droptop

·
Premium Member
19,932 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadh5:
I am installing my new SS harness and replacing the Malibu harness, and so far everything is going well. I marked most of the wires on the Malibu harness to help me hook up the new one. But I have some questions that the wiring diagrams aren't answering...

For as long as I've had this car, I SHOULD know but I'm drawing a blank right now. Isn't there supposed to be a light for the glove box? I hooked up an orange wire to the black switch, but where is the bulb?

On the new harness on the brown wire going to the heater, there is a 3" wire with a male plug that comes back out of the 4 wire connector. The old harness didn't have that. What is it for?

I'm putting an original radio back in and it has a plug which takes 3 wires. A black and green speaker wire and a yellow power. BUT out of that plug are two more plugs. One is the green and black wire, but the other is tied to the forementioned black wire along with another black wire. What do those do?

I found a blue wire tucked up under the dash with a funny U shaped connector and it runs to the trunk. Was that for the trunk light? (which I've never had) Where does it hook up under the dash?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have wiring diagrams at http://www.team67.com/information/index.htm - and click the Wiring Diagrams link - for 67 Chevelles. They may help.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
17,419 Posts
as for the glove box bulb, I think the bulb is actually in the switch body... The switch button at one end, and the bulb in the other end...

As for the blue wire to the trunk... I think the trunk light wire is pig-tailed out of a connector in the trunk (out of the taillight/license lamp wires... It should be part of the flat ribbon-harness...

I have only seen things like Power rear antenna, power top and power windows with their own separate rear harness, everything else I have seen is run throught the ribbon...

What about a rear speaker? I would say rear defroster, but this is for your ragtop, right?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the glove box switch again. I didn't see a bulb, yet I'm sure it worked before.
What does the bulb look like? Maybe it has gotten misplaced in the mess I call my garage.

I thought Dad cut the hole for the rear antenna, so I don't think it could be for an antenna. I'll have to ask him.

A speaker would have 2 wires. Was there ever a rear speaker in a convt?

------------------
my 67 droptop

·
Registered
242 Posts
This picture may help for the glove box light question.

The blue wire is for a rear speaker(it was avalible on the convertible). The blue wire provides the positive signal to the speaker, and another wire grounded to the body provides the ground.
It sounds like the short brown wire is on the A/C extension harness. A/C cars had an extension harness that runs from the blower switch, through the firewall, into the engine compartment. The extension harness had a short brown lead at the blower switch.This short lead is plugged into the I/P harness,this connection supplied the switch with power from the fuseblock.On a non-A/C car, the blower switch connector is integral with the I/P harness,and has no short brown lead at the switch, the brown wire is wired directly from the fuseblock to the switch.
The extra speaker wires have to do with the rear speaker, and the front to rear fade. This picture from the assembly manual may help some.
Picture
Hope this helps.

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects
New toy, 2002 Firehawk M6 1LE

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 08-01-2002).]

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's awesome, thanks so much!

I have not found that light bulb anywhere! Does it have a number on it so I know what to get? I tried the normal gray wire bulb and it wasn't staying connected. I also pulled the light bulb from the radio as it looks just like the picture, but it won't stay in the socket. When I push in on the switch, it shoots the bulb out. I turn the bulb to try to lock it somehow and it won't.

Where would the speaker in the rear be located on a convt? Mine had been cut in the trunk a few inches past the top motor.

------------------
my 67 droptop

[This message has been edited by chadh5 (edited 08-01-2002).]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hmm, there is no ground wire that is yellow, unless someone added it. Is it possible that it is white, and has discolored? If so, it could be the ground wire for the interior lights.It is a switched ground, and should be plugged into the door jam switch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Someone must have added that yellow wire. The cluster is grounded to the dash. It uses a little stamped sheet metal strap to ground. This strap runs from a bottom screw in the cluster (one that holds the metal back of the cluster to the plastic bezel), to a bottom bolt hole in the cluster bezel(used to bolt the cluster into the dash) If this strap is missing, it may be why someone added the yellow wire.
Cluster ground strap

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 08-03-2002).]

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, things are going pretty well condsidering I've never done this before. It's put back together for the most part. I haven't hooked up the courtesy lights or the power top yet until I get some other things resolved. But the car starts.

A. wiper won't work unless I push on the switch for fluid. Motor is a new rebuilt one and this is a different switch but same problem as before I took the dash apart. If it matters, there is no fluid motor on the car. Never has been and the wipers were unaffected by that previously.

B. There is a female connector coming out of the loom at the right side of the guages with a gray wire and an orange wire. I thought it might be for a dome light plug, but the diagrams say that is a white and orange wire. The malibu harness did not have it.

C. Dash light in my just restored tach doesn't work. Tach works, signal works, but no dash light. I checked the tach harness and the gray wire is getting power. I'm not going to be happy if I have to send it back.

D. No power in my recently rebuilt radio. The yellow wire is putting out power, but the radio is dead. I had it repaired and it is supposed to work. (I can't find the number of the guy in Indiana that did the work) No point in hooking up the spearkers yet if I can't even get the dash light in the radio to work.

E. The horn works intermittantly, but I think that is a problem in the engine compartment with the horns themselves, so I'm not real worried about that yet.

F. The amp guage moves alot. when power is being drawn. Maybe I'm just used to newer cars that are pretty stable. Is that normal on an SS guage? It was just repaired when I had the cluster restored.

------------------
my 67 droptop

Dad's 67 droptop

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll try to answer some of you questions.
A. This is a classic symptom of a switch that isn't grounded. Turn the ignition and wiper switch on. Take a length of wire and touch one end to a grounded part of the dash, and touch the other end to the wiper switch knob. If the wipers come on, your switch isn't grounded, and you will have to pull the switch out and sand the paint off the dash where the switch comes through.
B. That goes to the console. The orange wire supplies the power to the clock, and the gray wire supplies power to the lights in the clock and gear indicator(if its an auto).
C. Check that the groung wire is connected to the bottom bolt of the grounding strap I mentioned earlier. Also you may need to check that the bulb is good, I'm not sure how to remove it to check it ,though.
D.Not sure what to tell you on this one. Try grounding the radio chassis to the dash with a length of wire. A newly painted dash can cause all kinds of grounding problems.
E. Hmm, could be rust on the horn contacts?
F.I can't say whats normal for the amp gauge, mine doesn't work

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 08-07-2002).]

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A. I'm just touching the other end of the wire to the knob itself or the shaft?

B. Great, thanks! Won't be needing that one.
Bench seat with tilt wheel

C. It it wasn't getting a ground then would the tach itself and the turn signal be working?

D. The radio should have a good ground as it is bolted to the support bracket from the pass side of the radio to the bottom of the dash. Is that not enough? Actually, I just put the dash in as it was. Didn't repaint it, as it was fine.

E. That plate under the 3 screws is a nice redish rusty color. I'l try sanding it down.

------------------
my 67 droptop

Dad's 67 droptop

·
Registered
242 Posts
A. You can touch it to any part of the switch. Just touch it to the shaft if your worried about the finish on your knob.
B. I forgot that this connector was also used for a floor clock (if you had gauges and a bech seat).
C. Yeah, if the turn signal and tach are working, then the light should be working. There must be something wrong with the bulb, or the socket that the bulb is in.
D. The bracket should provide a good enough ground. I'm not sure what else to tell you on this one.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A. Touched with the wire and it did not come on. Any other ideas?

B. A floor clock. Don't think I've ever seen one of those. Are they pretty rare?

C. The Clock Doc where I had it restored said to send it back and they'd fix it. I'm going to wait until winter though. I want the car back together.

D. I'm trying to find the number of the guy that "fixed" the radio.

E. Sanded the metal disc on the horn and it works better now in the center so that should be fine. Still nothing at the outer buttons.

Here's a new one. And it's weird. Hooked up the courtesy lights. When the door is open the Temp guage needles goes to H. When it's shut, it goes to C.
------------------
my 67 droptop

Dad's 67 droptop

[This message has been edited by chadh5 (edited 08-09-2002).]

·
Registered
242 Posts
A. Hmm, do you have a test light? You can double check that the switch is grounded by connecting the clip to a part of the switch,and touching the probe to the BAT fuse in the fuseblock. If the light comes on , you may be losing a connection though the firewall connector, or the switch may be bad. On the wiper motor check that you are getting a ground on the light blue wire with the switch in the low and high position. Also check that you are getting a ground on the black wire only when the switch is in the low position.
B. Yeah, its kinda rare. A clock was standard on the SS, and Malibu. If you had the gauge package option on an SS, or Malibu, and also had a bench seat, you got the floor clock. If your car came with gauges originally, you should have a floor clock.
<<<< I borrowed your picture Al

E.Take the chromed center spoke secton off of the steering wheel. The screws are in the back side. There should be a short length of wire running from each button, to the center ring. If the wires are there, you may have to clean the button contacts with sandpaper.

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 08-09-2002).]

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I'll give that a try.

As for the temp guage, I pulled the white door switch wires out of the courtesy lamp harness and it stopped. I thought they were supposed to plug into the harness even though the courtesy lamp harness is really it's own entity.

That clock is groovy. Geez, what option does the car in that shot NOT have?

------------------
my 67 droptop

Dad's 67 droptop

·
Registered
242 Posts
The white wires from the door switches and the courtesy harness should be plugged together. I'm not sure what is going on with it affecting the temp gauge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts