Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit odd I think. My left rear turn signal does not work, yet my front one and the one in the tach both DO work. The tail light works as well. I think the brake light is working , but I will have to verify that. If it's the bulb, then how can the dash and front signal be working?

------------------
my 67 droptop

Interior

big block
-------------------
Dad's 67 droptop

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not really that odd. The front signal light and the dash light are on one wire while the rear signal is on another wire. The reason the rear signal is separated is because it has a dual purpose. One to operate the signals and the second purpose is to operate the brakes. That's how GM accomplished the 3 rear light functions, signal, brake, and tail using only 2 filaments in the 1157 light bulb.
Verify if the brake light is working. See if you have power to the yellow wire, at the left rear light, as you apply the brakes. If you do try turning on the left signal (bulb reinstalled) and touch a piece of wire to the bulb base. Hold it right where the bulb base meets the glass. Touch the other end, of the wire, to a clean frame ground. If that makes it work, bad socket or bad ground. Maybe try that first and see where you end up

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years back on my '67. If I remember correctly it was the passenger side rear tail light. The turn signal and driving light worked, but the brake light didn't. After changing bulbs and changing the socket I got no difference. I pulled the steering wheel and the turn signal cam and took a look at the harness inside the column. The plate that makes connedtion with the signal cam has four little springs that help it to contact the cam. One was missing. I replace the missing one with a spring I cut down from a spring out of a clicky pen. I put it all back together and it was fixed. If you don't find anything out messing with the socket and bulb, this could be the problem. Sorry for the long reply.
Scott

------------------
1967 Malibu
406 cid / 350 TH

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadh5:
Do the catalog places sell new sockets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure on that year. Might try Year One. Might not be a socket problem. It could be further back like scooter mentioned. Can't tell unless things get measured first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The socket that I got was from Autozone. I think it was even in the Help section.
Scott

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tail light works, but no signals, hazards or brakes. I pulled the lightbulb and that filament was blown! So how could the other signals flash? I thought they went solid when the bulb blew? So I replaced the bulb and same problem. So i fiddled with it some more and got it to work. Must be the socket is on its last legs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If the light does not work when you move the bulb while in the socket the socket may have pulled slightly apart. The factory socket is two pieces and when you pull the socket from the body sometimes the inner portion slides out just enough for a weak connection between the back of the bulb and the socket terminals. Try carefully squeezing it back together.As far as the signals still working with a bad bulb, if you have a HD flasher the other lights will continue to flash.

Rene
66_Malibu

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadh5:
So how could the other signals flash? I thought they went solid when the bulb blew? .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally true. The flasher can has a "spring" copper contact inside. It is normally closed and that's why the light first come on before they go off. Current (heating) through this contact causes it to spring open under it cools down again.
If you loose a light bulb there normally isn't enough current (heating) through the contact to cause it to spring open. You end up with the lights on steady.
Some of the better (more dollars) cans aren't current related. They will flash even if a light goes out. The reason I usually suggest buying a 3 dollar replacement can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts