Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 67 drag car (race only, never sees street), currently set up with a 12 bolt, 4.88 gear, stock springs & location, ladderbar type traction bars, and run 29.5X15X10.5W slicks. The last time I went to the drags I was having spinning trouble, and the car would sit lean over to the driver's side badly, and wouldn't really rebound (tried bouncing and pushing on the rear end). Like I said, it's got what appear to be the original factory springs with some lift blocks in them (bad I know), so I'm thinking the springs have about had it.

So, my question becomes what should I do? I wouldn't mind being able to run a wider/bigger slick, but I'm currently as tall as I can go and don't have any room on the inside (shock mount).

Obviously I could just replace the springs and probably go on my way, but are there any rear suspension upgrades I could do short of back-halving the car? Keeping it on the cheap isn't a real high priority on this, I'd probably be more limited by ability than buget. I saw a coil-over kit from Jeg's but don't know if that would even work on this car or what it would entail in installing. What can I do to this car to make it reliabily hook hard and run straight? I'm talking about a car that's 600-650 horsepower currently and probably not growing a whole lot in the near future.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Do a search here on the Alf Weibe suspension mods. Your car sounds like the perfect application for this system...if he ever begins production again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I personally have no drag experience so bear that in mind, but the Dick Miller kit seems to have the equipment. From the no-hop bars, chassis bracing, the chrome moly hardware, purpose-built springs and the rear anti-roll bar it appears that they have addressed the geometry and the tire planting issues. It sounds good to hear that the rear end actually lifts a bit during launch, and the anti-roll bar will help equalize the tire loads. I also like the adjustability of the package for things like pinion angle and chassis preload.

What are you running for shocks? I have heard that a set of lazy, worn out front shocks sometimes help with weight transfer, but having witnessed a '68 Beaumont instantly lose traction as soon as the front end topped out, sending a jolt through the whole chassis, I would consider something purpose-built.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
some guys have done pretty well with the rear anti-roll bar and an air bag in the RR. Cheap stuff compared to the after market kits. are you still running the stock rubber bushings in the rear arms?

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Rich. The first thing you must do is, Remove those ladder bars and THROW THEM AS FAR AS YOU CAN!!!! The cause bind in the suspension.
The Dick Miller hit looks very good. The adjustable upper control arms will let you adjust for track conditions. You should also install a set of Moroso trick springs and 90/10 drag shocks on the front.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Looks like that DM kit has it all...including an anti roll bar.
First impression was it's too expensive but after totalling all the components up, seems priced fair.
I personally have never used his stuff but quite a few guys around here have with success, along with the Buick boys.
And I might add here...my Chevelle sees quite a bit more street use than strip. So, I'm far from an expert on this.
Just offering an opinion...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rich I Run The Dick Miller Rear Suspension Without The Sway -anti Roll Bar. The Best 60' I've Gotten So Far Is A 1.54. I Will Be Trying Some Different Things With The Rear As Soon As I Go Back To The Track. I Will Be Using Air Bags In Both Rear Coil Springs Set At Different Psi. To Prevent Body Roll On Launch And I Will Be Trying Some Different Things With The I. C. To Try And Get The Car To Launch And 60' Better. Whatever Setup You Go With You Will Have To Take Some Time Testing Different Settings To Optimize Your 60' Times And Launches. Good Luck With The 67'.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just my opinion if your gonna have lots of power save yourself the time and go with some sort of antiroll bar. Ive done the airbags and to no sucess, still too much body roll. Have bought a hrpartsnstuff antiroll bar for this year a very nice looking piece and basically bolt in.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer a couple of questions from before, the car has some older competition engineering shocks on all 4 corners that were on it before I bought it. It does still have the rubber bushings in the rear arms also.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the thoughts! I don't mind spending some money if it'd be money well spent, to buy a package like the Dick Miller. I'm starting towards the Dick Miller setup at this point...

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are people out there that hook consistently with a 10.5" tire ;) Might want to do a search and then shoot them an email.

p.s. my last race my 60's were as follows:

:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts