Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of converting my Elky to power windows. Does anyone know the proper location for the circuit breaker that mounts on the firewall and also the size of the holes required in the doors and posts.

Tim

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
You don't mention if they are OEM or aftermarket type but I would assume you could mount a circuit breaker anywhere you wanted if aftermarket.

I have a 67 SS that I used an Autoloc system on. Works great and I hid all the wiring, relays, etc under my console. I also have a 67 Elky that I'm going to try some aftermarket OEM-type replacements on. Can't remember who I got them from off hand (I'm at work). These are a bit more involved as they replace the entire regulator system. On the SS there are two relatively small holes in the door/A-pillar that are probably no more than .5" to .75" in diameter to run the wires through inside a small wire-wound sleeve. Either way, you may have to pull the door to get a straight shot at drilling the holes.

Which style are you using? Before I do my Elky I'd like to hear trials/tribulations of another installation.

------------------
Dale
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I didn't know where either, so I put mine just to the right of the distributor. Get ready for some nuckle scraping. Just put a complete set in my 67 coupe. ( a little different, I know). When you take your originals out just find a drill bit that fits the old holes. You should have little punch marks already on the door where you are supposed to drill. I had to take the motors off just to get everything inside the door and then put the motor back together inside the door. It really sucked, but determination and a little blood I got her done.

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

Only in AMERICA!!!
Ain't WE got it sweet!

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stacey honn:
Get ready for some nuckle scraping. Just put a complete set in my 67 coupe. ( a little different, I know). When you take your originals out just find a drill bit that fits the old holes. You should have little punch marks already on the door where you are supposed to drill. I had to take the motors off just to get everything inside the door and then put the motor back together inside the door. It really sucked, but determination and a little blood I got her done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if Tim wanted to hear that but I know I didn't
I swapped emails with Tim and we both have the same kits to put into 67 Elkys. Did you have to remove the door to drill the wire feed holes? How did you do the A-pillar? When you say, "When you take your originals out just find a drill bit that fits the old holes," what holes are you referring to? What did you use to hold the window up while you removed the old regulator?

------------------
Dale
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Paterson, what wiring harness are you using for the motors. Stock type or some aftermarket one. Stock types use three different size holes.

65Camino
Team member Gold #74
ACES Member #1788

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased the wiring from a company called M & H Electrical fabricators @ www.wiringharness.com These fellows produce all the oem harnessess for most restoration companys like OPG. Prices are about the same, but I found the customer service can't excellent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't excellent??? Never type without morning coffee!!! I meant to say the service is excellent. Another thing is that they include the door rubbers with the harness.

Tim

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
On my 66, I had the doors off to drill both the holes in the door jamb (A-Pillar and door). Don't remember the sizes off hand, but I used one of those factory assembly manuals (~$20). It showed the location an size for the holes (althought the holes are dimpled already-as stated above). Also had to drill a third hole behind the kick panel.

As for the circuit breaker, I put that over by the wiring outlet (back of the fuse box on the engine side of the firewall), kind of under the fender (have to remove the inner fender for that one).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Where there is a will, there is a way.
I drilled apillar with kick panel bent out.(from the inside) I used a metal hole saw blade made by makeeta. I then used a very long wood drill (very sharp point to go in though the door panel to make a small hole to start a hole that my other sized metal hole saw blade would grab hold of at and angle. (to do all this you may need an extention for you drill, they make them)
The holes I'm talking about are the one's that hold your old regulators. (There are four of them). If you want I'll take a digital pic of all the tools I used and send them to anyone who wishes to see them.
This was and oem kit with all the correct wiring and conduit.

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

Only in AMERICA!!!
Ain't WE got it sweet!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone know where new power window regulators are sold, or were they can be repaired? I have original '68 regulators for a El Camino. Any help is always appriciated.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 Malibu El Camino w/327 (now 355) Turbo 350, Factory Options: PB, PS, PW, Cruise Control, A/C, Gauge Package,12 bolt rearend
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
My El Camino at Fuddrucker's 11/10/01
[/list]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.