Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was young, stupid and in high school, I kept blowing up top regulators when I put my top up or down and I couldn't figure out why. So I replaced it with an inline fuse so I could change it quickly and go about my business. Then one day it quit all together, so I unhooked the struts so I could operate it manually. Now that I'm older and wiser, I want it to all be fixed and work properly.

Where do I start?

The switch? How do I go about that? The motor? How do I check it? I'm still not so good with electrical stuff, so any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well maybe one of the ragtop guys will show up. I have never restored one and the only soft top I owned was manual.
I'd consider getting the motor rebuilt as a starting point. After that many years it's tired.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The Fisher Body service manual has an excellant section on "Folding Top" It has 50+ pages of info with illustrations. Everything you need to know. It's good you should get one.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Chad,
first trace your power. There should be a heavy #10 wire usually black, from your horn relay to the circut breaker on the firewall. Then from the breaker to the switch. Then if I remember right, its a purple and grey wire back to the pump.

Check power and then we can go from there. BTW, ign don't matter...power should be there either way.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

1 - 4 of 4 Posts