Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 SS396 with a rear axle ID of CW519B. My research indicates is a 3.31:1 metallic brakes, not a positraction.

Looking to convert it to a posi rear end. what is involved?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
About $500 dollars.....

Reactions: Peewee0413

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
simplest way, if you like the ratio, just get a Richmond lockrite, takes about a hour. really easy install and if your cars a automatic, really isn't a issue. a manual makes it more chattery around corners. jim

Reactions: Alwhite00

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
simplest way, if you like the ratio, just get a Richmond lockrite, takes about a hour. really easy install and if your cars a automatic, really isn't a issue. a manual makes it more chattery around corners. jim
The locker tire chirp isn't worth the time or money savings IMO..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
if your just adding a posi, a installation kit, a posi unit and labor. I bet if you start with a 1000 bucks in your wallet, you might have enough for a big Mac when your done paying for the swap.
$369 about a hour and your driving. I ran one in my 70 chevelle with 3.31 gears and a 4 speed. really didn't like going around tight turns. kind of clunky.
I've got 3.07 gears and a th400 in my 71 camaro. no issues with clunking. I think its the automatic that smooths it out.
The 70, I ended up swapping to a 3.31 posi with a rebuilt posi, new axles etc. I sold a few toys, had a little extra $$$ so I splurged on the rear. if not, I would still have the lock right in the 70. jim

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
I've had a couple trucks I put the Lok rite in. Work great. I just learned to stay off the gas whilst turning a corner.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've had a couple trucks I put the Lok rite in. Work great. I just learned to stay off the gas whilst turning a corner.
I have a 93 k1500 with 31x10.5 All terrain.. Already get tire hop slamming around a corner on the pedal with my open diff. Maybe I just need new shocks. Not sure locked would benefit my truck one bit lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,664 Posts
I used the Powertrax locker in a Tahoe. DONT DO IT. Spend the long dollar on a proper Eaton clutch/disc posi unit. That PowerTrax used to ring my axles nicely. No bueno.

Only chose it as it did not require removal of ring and pinion. Guess what, with near 20 thou backlash, I had to remove them ANYHOW! It stayed in the Tahoe. Worked ok, but I prefer a Eaton in the snow, gentler disengagment around turns. Maybe it was the cold weather use, but that "pop" almost everytime I made a turn, was too much. NEVER in a proper car I said.

One idiots opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: LeoP
1 - 10 of 10 Posts