Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
i did mine with spray can lacquer,gloss black and 3 coats of clear.turned out real nice,but if you have the tools to do it with automotive paint that would be better.the windshield was out of mine so fixed that part and removed the metal dash part in back yard but it did turn out nice.JIMK

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JIMK,but what kind of paint did you use. I used dupli-color gloss black enamel paint,It has a nice shine,but wasn't as smooth as i wanted.What can I do now? The top of the dash I painted flat black It seems to be okay.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
littlehop - a lot of the guys in our chevelle club use low gloss or black-satin. I have read a few posts where some of the guys have said the gloss black to too bright for the interior. Too much reflection I guess. I'm going with black-satin myself.

How much prep work did you do? How many coats did you spray?

------------------
67 Malibu Convertible, 2nd Owner since '78
Bonner Springs, KS
A.C.E.S # 4806
N.C.O.A # 5322
67 Malibu Convertible

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Ragtop67malibu283 I used Gloss-Black paint. For prepping I stripe the dash to bare metal, Primed it, and painted it with 3 coats of paint,but I still have orange peel.Should I sand It again? And with what type sand paper?What grit paper?

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Orange peel? You have to sand it down & redo. The pressure is wrong (or the techique perhaps). If you are spraying with a spray bomb (you're pushing it if you want good results) there is not much you can do to affect the outcome since you generally can't adjust the pressure or spray fan. On the painted part of the dash they used 'eggshell' laquer. Today's laquers aren't really worth using, so one must improvise. Satin finish sounds about right for most of the dash, but for the top you should use flat paint. For models earlier than '66 they may not have used the flat paint on the dash top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts