Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the step-dad's car from high-school. Been sitting since the late 70's-80's :'( Floors still look good, dunno about the frame, but from what I could see, they still look OK

What do you guys think it's worth as it sits? Has a 327... It ain't going anywhere, been sitting in my/his yard forever...

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
First thing I would do is get it up on higher ground...looks like the rockers/frame are starting to touch the ground. This wont be good at all for rust.

·
Registered
640 Posts
without looking at it pretty close I would guess $1500-$3500:thumbsup:
you're one of the people driving the market up on these..

Let's say a really well restored Malibu is worth $15k. This car sitting forever, sunk like that, mystery of condition on several things shouldn't sell for any more than $1000. If it needs quarters, floors, windshield repairs, glass, interior, gas tank, wiring, brakes, a paint job, motor/trans overhaul, etc, no one should even consider that car for more than a grand. ...unless you're pacified with driving a ratrod chevelle, then in that case it'd probably take an engine/trans rebuild, fuel system, new brakes and bare bones upholstery and you'd have a $5k driver.

The most valuable two things about it are that he knows 25 years of history on it, and has orig 327. So $1500 may be fair, but that's pushing it in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about getting it up on higher ground, thanks so far on your input. I don't think he really wants to get rid of it, but it's been sitting for 20+ years, so the chance of him ever restoring it is slim to none.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree about getting it up on higher ground, thanks so far on your input. I don't think he really wants to get rid of it, but it's been sitting for 20+ years, so the chance of him ever restoring it is slim to none.
Man..save that car before it gets worse :(

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It looks worse than you think it does.$1500 seems fair depending on frame condition.If the frame is rotten then its a $800 parts car.My 2 cents.

·
Registered
674 Posts
you're one of the people driving the market up on these..

Let's say a really well restored Malibu is worth $15k. This car sitting forever, sunk like that, mystery of condition on several things shouldn't sell for any more than $1000. If it needs quarters, floors, windshield repairs, glass, interior, gas tank, wiring, brakes, a paint job, motor/trans overhaul, etc, no one should even consider that car for more than a grand. ...unless you're pacified with driving a ratrod chevelle, then in that case it'd probably take an engine/trans rebuild, fuel system, new brakes and bare bones upholstery and you'd have a $5k driver.

The most valuable two things about it are that he knows 25 years of history on it, and has orig 327. So $1500 may be fair, but that's pushing it in my opinion.
well around here a clean car will always bring atleast 3500. now I dont know the rust condition but if the frame is gone I wouldnt even offer $500 for it.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine was in a very similar condition, lying almost on the ground, etc. There is always more rust than you would like and than you can see at first but I paid $2000 for mine. Mine is a Malibu, but it has all the SS tags and correct hood so I would also go with $1500 for yours.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I need more Info ........ if it has a HP 327 Muncie 12 b posi ??? & its all stock .... who cares what the frame looks like .... ebay !!! every bracket & bolt to the OEM crowd !!! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll get the VIN # tonight, hopefully I can find it... Being in a wheelchair sucks for those kind of adventures :D

I can't remember if you can check for a 12 bolt by looking at the ends of the axles or not? Anybody know? I know how to check for a 10 bolt.. Tell me what to look for... I'm a Ford guy, and diesel at that...lol

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
I'll get the VIN # tonight, hopefully I can find it... Being in a wheelchair sucks for those kind of adventures :D

I can't remember if you can check for a 12 bolt by looking at the ends of the axles or not? Anybody know? I know how to check for a 10 bolt.. Tell me what to look for... I'm a Ford guy, and diesel at that...lol
On a Chevy, simply count the number of bolts holding the rear end cover on - 10 or 12.

A 327/275 probably has a 10-bolt unless it originally came with a 4-speed then it got a 12-bolt.

Value might depend on what part of the country someone is from that is interested. In the snow belt and northeast, if it's not too bad it'd be worth more than someone say from the southwest or southeast where low rust cars might be found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts