Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question several years ago and since there are more new people now, I thought I would ask again. My 67SS has the 375HP engine. The engine code is the correct EG and all dates match. The engine was assembled in 5/67. The problem I have is the cars assembly date is 3/67. How can the car be finished when the engine has yet to be assembled? Could there be mistakes in the dates? I'm just wondering because as most of you know, there were only 612 L-78's made in 1967. Any input will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Mark S (edited 01-07-2000).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd say with 2 mos difference it's doubtful you've got the original engine. Have you checked if the VIN is stamped in the block and matches your car? Post all of your numbers from the front pad, the block cast date and the trim tag build date and VIN and I bet we could sort it out. There's an off chance the wrong number was stamped. It's happened.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mark,
I own an unrestored 70 LS6 Chevelle and my engine stamp reads T0510CRV then the VIN but my build sheet,trim tag,and door sticker reads april 70 build date.After many questions and few answers I have come to the conclusion that the engine pad stamping is simply a typo.It shoud read T0410CRV.Besides I was told by a guy who worked at Tonawanda that the plant was closed on Sundays and May 10,1970 was a Sunday.April 10 was a Friday and that makes more sense.It also may mean that the assembly line worker got a head start on the weekend and mistyped the wrong date.These errors happened and a few beers the night before made them more common!

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn gold LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 community-2.webtv.net/SS454chevelle/1970LS6CHEVELLE/

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
An old saying was never buy a car built on Fri's or Mon's. Friday because they were thinking of the weekend and Monday because they were suffering from the weekend.

Rick
67ss bb
TC #326
But all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I was watching local Detroit News on Monday Jan. 03, 2000. It seems the Detroit area Jeep plant fired up on Sunday Jan 02, 2000 and ran off just 150 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limiteds to test out Y2K bugs. Just think of the lucky buyers who may get these? They said eveything went AOK BTW?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the numbers. VIN is 138177Z153257. Build date is 3/67. Numbers on the engine pad are TO525EG, then 7Z153475. This does not match the VIN, but its close. I have not had a chance to get all the dates on the castings except the heads which have 4/11/67. I guess we will never know for sure whether it is orignal or not. I would love to think so because it could be one of the 612 which would make it very valuable. At least I know the engine is a 1967 396/375. Any more thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's not the original eng.It if were,the last 7#s would be identical on the eng and the vin.Sorry.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

·
Registered
233 Posts
Didn't the N.C.O.A raffel off a Z16 that had a Vin stamped on the motor that was something like 27 characters off of the cars vin?If I am not mistaken I believe they passed the car off as numbers matching.Anybody else have info about this one????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Regardless if the engine blew before it left the factory, YOUR VIN woud be stamped into it. Sorry, but you'd likely never convince a knowledgeable buyer it's the original engine. Nonetheless, its still a rare car, so enjoy it!

I have every Chevelle Report magazine from 1983 to present. Yes they did raffle off that Z-16, but it was not represented as THEE original engine, just a correct Z-16 engine. If you're interested I can go through the old issues and see who won it. They did raffle off a few LS-6 coupes with the original drivetrain.

[This message has been edited by Black LS-6 (edited 01-08-2000).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
i like to keep track of the 66 engine vin's on some 66 L-78 engines i have ran across in the hopes i might someday match up a car and engine. i found an eg block the other day whose engine build date was later than the build date of the engine i have, but the vin indicates that it should have been built a few months before (a few thousand cars)the car that my engine originally came installed in. (i don't have my numbers with me so this might be vise versa, but you get the idea.) i go through huntsville sometimes, maybe we could trade some parts sometime.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Y'know, it isn't the original engine, but the engine is a legit, correct L78 by the sound of things. It sounds kosher to me if one has to read the little stamped numbers in order to tell if is the original engine. To me it sounds cool, and functionally it is an L78. BTW, what transmission and differential are in the car? Does it have guages? What is the tach redline if you have a tach? What other options are on the car? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Cam, The car has gauges and and a 6500 red line on the blinker tach. It does not have the original trans as I have destroyed several with this engine. It also has a 12-bolt posi with 3.73 geasrs.It is a legit SS. And I know for sure the engine is a 67 L78. Its just that the VIN on the cowl tag say 138177Z153257 and the engine number is TO525EG 153475. Thats just a difference of 218 cars according to the VIN numbers. What is the chance of a car leaving the factory in Atlanta, being sold from Kirk-Davis Chevrolet in Sylva NC, then getting the engine replaced with the VIN number on it just 218 later than the VIN on the cowl tag? Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but as I said before, it could be a rare car if it did come from the factory with this engine. Thanks for everybodys opinion.
BR549, send me an e-mail and maybe we can hook up next time you are through Huntsville.

1BadRat
Actually registered 8/98. Changed my user name and password and it now I have started all over. Oh Well.

[This message has been edited by 1BadRat (edited 02-09-2000).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.