Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...Im sorta at my wits end on this one.

I've completely restored my dashboard.......new uncut dash, bodyshop paintjob in the glosssiest gloss black, new chrome bezels and trim, new glove box.....and my heater control assembly still looks like crap.

Id like to remove the knobs and replace or clean the face plate, but I cant figure out how the knobs come off without destroying them.....wich in the past USED to be an option, but this time it is not.

Thanks fellas!
Dave

------------------
"Remember days of skippin school,
racin' cars and being cool"
NEVER SAY GOODBYE 9-11-01
PROUD NEW YORKER
**Dave Armstrong**
396 cu12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.723(best) 60ft
454 BSE under construction
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
The knobs on the heater controls are pressed onto the levers. They do pull off but sometimes it takes a fair amount of effort. What I did to pull my control knobs was to wrap the knobs with black electrical tape (you MUST use black!) probably went around them tree times or so, then grab them with a pair of channel locks and carefully wiggle them off the levers. I used electrical tape because the adhesive is rubber based and will have less of a tendency to pull the chrome off the knob like masking tape can. Goodluck, Mike

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had that problem and latched hold tightly with my bare hands. Just get a good grip with your thumb and forefinger and start pulling! Hey, I'd rather risk injury than screw up the chrome. Cuts and bruises heal. Chrome does not!

------------------
my 67 droptop

Interior

big block
-------------------
Dad's 67 droptop

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
Suggestions are all valid. I was lucky enough to get mine off with the Chad's method. Not all is lost if they do break, aftermarket has them. Hinshaw's has 'em for $2 each and I'm sure others do to. I bought a set with the new levers ~just in case~. Wound up using them anyway since the levers and face plate were new as well.

Dale

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas......Im sure I'll end of wrecking them no matter whos method I use, so its good to know I can still buy them.

Dale after removing and reinstalling the entire dash, I completely respect every ounce of energy that youve put into the pumpkin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts