Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several members have reported that in 66/67 applications Hedmans fit well for Big Blocks. I have searched Hedmans website and found 3 possible part numbers.

68190 & 68197 both have 1&3/4 primarys, but footnote indicates will not fit Saginaw close ratio p/s with 825 box in 67.

65002 has 2 inch primarys, but footnote indicates will not fit Saginaw close ratio p/s with 825 box in 67.

I have a 3-turn box and will be using an original style p/s pump with remote resivior. I'm not sure what brackets I'll be using, depends on what I can find, but will be a short pump application.

Anyone have any expierence with these parts numbers in a 6 or 7.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Rob, what kind of a build are you going for? 1 3/4 is generally well tolerated by anything up to 450 hp. I'm guessing since you're throwing the BB in your vert you probably won't need anything bigger. My 427 has 1 7/8 primaries down to 3 1/2 reduced to full 3" exhaust. Go with the coated 1 3/4's and you'll be very happy. For the factory PS adjustor bracket, you'll need to fabricate 1 bolt and accomodating spacers with headers.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob, what kind of a build are you going for? 1 3/4 is generally well tolerated by anything up to 450 hp. I'm guessing since you're throwing the BB in your vert you probably won't need anything bigger. My 427 has 1 7/8 primaries down to 3 1/2 reduced to full 3" exhaust. Go with the coated 1 3/4's and you'll be very happy. For the factory PS adjustor bracket, you'll need to fabricate 1 bolt and accomodating spacers with headers.
Agreed, but which of the 2 part numbers, and whats the pump/box issue.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
I don't buy into the bigger is better deal when it comes to headers on a street car. My 460" motor is well over 500HP, running 1.75" headers. WOuld 2" give more top end at the track? Possibly - depending on what RPM the car hits at the 1320. But for overall driveability, the 1.75's give great throttle response. On my particular heads, the exhaust port is just about the same size as the header tube.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Rob,

I just put the same 1 3/4 primary Hedman Elites in my 67 with a 454 and a quick ratio PS box. There is NO box issue with these headers that I've found. JimL82 doesn't even know what that box is that they are referring to is. The only issue I had was the need to clearance the corner of the lower rear brace of the front control arms about a 1/16th of an inch with an angle grinder. If you round them off again and repaint it, you can't tell it was done.

I am using Energy Suspension motor mounts. Hedman says that's why I had to do that. They claim that if I was using GM BB mounts I wouldn't have had any clearance issues. I don't believe that but that's their story. It's not a big enough issue to be concerned about as far a I'm concerned. The fit in ALL other areas of these headers is superb and the quality of the construction and ceramic finish more than over shadows that minor inconvenience. Just make sure you are using a BB steering column with the removable flange if it's not installed before the headers are. (They right side installs so much easier without the column in) Took me a bit to figure out how to get them up onto the engine past the Lakewood SC flange. Now I could do it in my sleep. They notched those header flanges in exactly the right place. I'm super pleased with fit and quality these headers.:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
I discovered the 68196 hedman headers fit by accident years ago. Hedman didn't even list them but the flange was correct to clear the lower head bolts. I asked them to send me a pair. Even hedman said they would not fit. But they did fit perfectly. Since then they are listed in their manual. Go 68196!

Mark

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Just throw my 2 cents out here. I just installed a set of 68196 ceramic coated Heddman's. They fit perfect with no dinging any pipes. I called Heddman and asked about the steering box, since I had mine replaced with a quick ratio box. They told me this was not a problem. I am running a 396 in 1967 Chevelle with power steering and it fits great. Plugs are easy to access as the original exhaust manifolds were.

·
Registered
948 Posts
MArk 502,
It is because of your post I purchased the 68196. Thinked pipes help keep the tinny header noise sound away.

·
Premium Member
7,320 Posts
I´m thinking of Hedmans 66002 for my -64, anyone that know if the fit well?

Marcus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts