Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a restoration on a 67 Malibu hardtop. Installed new weatherstrip from OPG (either Metro or Soffseal). My vent windows do not seal properly, whistle above 30 MPH, leak when washing (have not been in the rain yet). The vent weatherstrip does not appear to fit well, although the overall fit of the vent to the door glass and windshield pillar seem OK. Is this something I can tweak to correct, or do I need to look for another set of w/s?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Tuck.

I have somewhat the same experience. My passenger's vent window would whistle too soon. These windows are never very quit, certainly not at 70 mph. I had no water leakage. I had already mounted new knobs to make sure the windows close right.

After some searching I found the lower outer channel was not closing completely. As a (temporary?) solution I added some black, 1/16 thick, 1/4 wide self adhesive strip. This is the one you would use in your house, not the soft foamy type but the heavier (neoprene?) type. I made sure I covered the pivot point.

Hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Rusty, I had to do the same exact thing with my passenger vent window. Whistles on the road. I thought I must have assembled it wrong but it sounds like a manufacturing error.
Roger

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Roger. I think you're right. After initial installation I noticed the inner side of the lower channel did not reach the frame of the window like the driver's version did. I found no way to correct this.

I also noticed the rubber near the lower pivot point has a crack on the outside by now. I guess the rubber is not what it should be.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts