Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every since I got my 67 I haven't been able to open the glove box door. No key I own opens the door. Any idea on how I can get it open without drilling the key button?

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
856 Posts
Do you have a FRIENDLY locksmith you could drive your car down to ?

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
856 Posts
Do it CAREFULLY.......

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I went at looked at my 67 glove box. I don't think unbolting the door and removing the liner will work to get access to the back side. But I would try it first, a new liner is less than a new lockset.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the opposite problem I can’t keep it closed, drive around and it pops open all the time. Not much to adjust might have to start bending stuff but would be still nice to be able to open it later as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Binford. I feel your pain… I have the same problem but I have a key that will spin the lock but the door is jammed shut….. I bet we both will be rich soon…..

·
Registered
66 chevelle
231 Posts
I think the local locksmith is a good idea
Drive it to the shop gave them look at it
Probably won’t be much to have them pick
the lock 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
11,084 Posts
Typically your trunk key fits the glove box unless one or both have been changed. A worn key might also give you a problem. If you have a fresh trunk key made it may or may not unlock the box. Otherwise, as mentioned, locksmith. Don't jack up your dash trying to seduce the lock.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The original trunk/door key doesn't fit my glovebox, nor does it work in either door.
I replaced the trunk lock so I now have separate keys for that.
No loss in getting a fresh key for the glovebox if needed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have the original trunk lock? There would be a code a locksmith could cut you a new key from. That key would work in the glove box lock if it was original.
No, it was drilled out when I bought the car. The po was opening the trunk with a screwdriver

1 - 13 of 13 Posts