Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - I just spent a few hours in the garage with a wheelrite tool. I've confirmed that 17x10 5.75BS will fit in the rear like many have mentioned, 5.5 may even be better, but you can always get there with a spacer.....

I'm struggling with the fronts. I can't seem to validate that a 17x9.5 will fit with anything greater than a 5.25 - 5.5 BS. I know Tony has them on his 66 - but when I dial the tool in for 6", the 'rim' hits the upper control arm and a 255-45 would hit the sway bar and the eye brow gasket. I wanted to go with the 9.5" rim in case I wanted to move up to a 275 in the future. Is 5.25 going to be enough in the front for a 9.5" rim? It just seems wrong......

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Mike, as I mentioned in my PM (but I will mention it here for others benefit), I am running the Kore3 C5 Corvette front brakes (or was, I sold the car).

This kit uses the stock drum hubs. The rotor hat is a little thicker than the drum (0.3"+ versus 0.1"), AND I was runninga 7/32" Mr Gasket spacer (0.219")... Thats was pushingthe mounting surface out ~0.4 -0.5" from stock (but stock DRUMS). That might be why the 6.0" BS worked with my car...

5.5" MIGHT have worked as well, BUT in my experience, when my car was extrememly lowered, the "inner-fender" bolts at the top of the wheel opening rubbed and marred my tires...

My rim cleared the control arm, and I'd rather rub the sway bar (where "damage" will not be noticible) than rip up the outside of the tire.

I also had stock "disc" spindles... drop spindles might also have other clearance issues...

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Tony, is the outer bolts the main place the tire and the inner fender get too cozy? My 67 EC will be lowered as well and I didn't know if I can use the inner fenders still. The car is apart right now so I can't get any measurements. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Clint - Do you agree that 6" will hit the UCA?
I'll be out measuring again this weekend.....It was 7 degrees here this morning.....It's hard to want to be out in the garage when its that bad....

Sorry Clint - I just read your other post from today - 6" will hit without tubulars, or in Tony's case spacers + a wider track.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have SC&C's tall ball joints (stage 2) and with some measuring (no wheel to try so I improvised) it appears that 5.5" will hit the upper balljoint, probably not a problem with stock ball joints though.

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have SC&C's tall ball joints (stage 2) and with some measuring (no wheel to try so I improvised) it appears that 5.5" will hit the upper balljoint, probably not a problem with stock ball joints though.
Uh Oh!

Thats what I am planning on using with the 17X9.5 wheels and about 6.0" of BS... Gulp!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Randy, Did you figure out the biggest tire and wheel that will fit for you?? what B/S are you going to use I have a 67 and will be using the stage 2 stuff also. Thanks Roger
Roger,
I ordered wheels today and the fronts are 17 x 8 with 4 3/4" backspace. You might be able to go as much as 5" bs without problems. I will know more when the wheels arrive. The rears are 17 x 9.5 with 5.5" bs in you are wondering. A 6" bs could work if the tire doesn't bulge out too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts