Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the frame of my 67 hardtop completely stripped and sitting directly on the level floor of my garage. Last night I noticed a slight twist in the rear portion. I took some measurements, from the rear end forward:

1" difference in height at the rear corners
1/2" difference in height at the rear body mount locations
1/4" difference in height at the rear coil spring locations
1/8" difference in height at the rear cross member

It's straight from there all the way to the front. What do you think, should I have it straightened? One body shop said "A 1 inch twist in that short a distance is significant." Another one said that it's not bad enought to worrying about--the body will pull everything even. Can I get some more opinions? Thanks in advance.

-- TM

·
Registered
313 Posts
Get it fixed while it is convenient. I have a 67 with a twist that did not pull clean when I put the body back on. I didn't measure before the body was on, but the difference with it on is still exactly one inch, which is very noticable. I found a frame shop and will be getting mine fixed.

The front is fine, my twist is at the rear like yours. I have seen from other posts this may cost $100 or so, not too much.

------------------
John Walker
67 SSClone
Metro Atlanta, GA

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 09-14-99).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if this twist is significant but the cost to straighten the frame is not exhorbitant. The door on my '71 Malibu convertible would not close easily due to slight frame sag. I took it to a body shop that had a laser frame machine and they straightened the frame for $120 ( 2 hrs @ $60). The door is aligned and the other benefit was that the body panels now have straighter gaps. I recommend to find a body shop with a laser frame machine and go for it.
Yuri

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.