Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The frame of my '67 SS396 has a little bend in it. About half-way down the driver's side
frame rail, the "C" is closed up in one spot so the gap is only about 1.5". Please see
the picture I included.

(OK, I see now that UBB coding for images is
disabled in this forum. You can see the picture in the Body Shop forum (same topic title), or just use your browser to go to the URL you see above.)

Should I:

1. Leave it alone?
2. Bend it back so it's right?
3. Bend it back AND weld in a support?

If option 3, do you have any suggestions about the type of brace I should put in and tips on this kind of weld? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Looking forward to 1999 with Team Chevelle! Have a Happy Hi-Octane Christmas and a Great Chevelle New Year!

-- Tim Mattson

P.s. Pretty rusty frame, huh? Well, I've already taken care of it with sandblasting and POR15--that's good stuff!

[This message has been edited by Tim_Mattson (edited 12-21-98).]

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Beat it back down with a hammer and leave it alone. you may want to use a large 5 pound hammer to get it close then use a smaller hammer to finish it up nice. Looks like someone tried to jack it up here and had the jack too far under the frame. My convertible doesn't have this problem since the frame is completely boxed from the factory (the open side of your C is closed off, you could duplicate with a piece of metal, but I don't think it is necessary).

·
Registered
622 Posts
My previous reply seems to have disappeared???!!!
I would bend it back as nicely as possible then leave it alone. If you were to go to say 500 HP, I might then think about reinforcing it.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
283-
I think you probably posted your last response under the 'body' section. That's happened to me before looking to reread a response someone gave and can't find it.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a frame off resto on my Nova, after I got it apart I saw that it had been in a collision at some point. I finished the resto and took it to get it aligned. The frame was bent slightly and the car had to have the frame straightened on a frame machine to get it to align. I wasn't thrilled with that.

It doesn't sound like that is the case at all with your car, but I'd make sure the car was never wrecked (take measurements or something).

You could take it to a shop to make sure it isn't tweaked but if the motor is out and/or body of that probably won't work with the reduced weight.

Like I said, this doesn't sound like the case with your car but I thought I'd pass it along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.