Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been underway for a couple of months now...I'll post an abbreviated build-up to it's current state of destruction.

Getting close to retirement I decided I wanted another hot rod to tool around in and maybe take a road trip with. Found this '67 El Camino close by and it followed me home.

Drove it about 25 miles total and decided I could not stomach the color...something had to be done. Maybe I should change the thread title to "how to take a perfectly good vehicle completely apart and have nothing to drive".

It gets worse as we go along...

Now we're getting down to the nitty-gritty...

Thus far I have managed to get the firewall cleaned up and the majority of the parts in primer.

I'm on a mission now to get some color on this beast asap...the sooner I get away from this sanding/body work/painting the better. This part of it just wears me out.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Rich, it would've been easier and cheaper to just wear some rose colored glasses when driving that Elky.:D That's one sweet and solid ride. What's the new color gonna be?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Right now I have the color selections narrowed down to three...White, Cement Gray or Ceramic Blue.

On the to do list:

conventional sbc
FiTech fuel injection
5-speed manual transmission
bucket seats
upgraded sound system
1" to 2" drop
add front discs
17" wheels/tires

·
Registered
798 Posts
Looks good
I'm partial to the blue myself

Keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good
I'm partial to the blue myself

Keep up the good work
Yeah, I like it alot. I had not even considered a blue until I ran across the color on a Chrysler 200 in a parking lot the other night while working. That stock photo doesnt do it justice at all. Here is another in different lighting...

Saw several instances where others had hinged the smugglers box cover and I liked the idea of some hidden storage...be a great place to keep a jack and some tools. I have some stainless piano hinge in place, but have not fastened it yet. Plans are to spray the box and bed with liner after painting...possibly tinted with the body color.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Down to the point of selecting a color now. I had pretty much made my mind up until I ran across this color on a Corvette this evening and the wow factor just spun me around...of course it had to be metallic which I said I would not do.

2016 Corvette Shark Gray Metallic -

Are there any special considerations or problems I would run into with this color vs a non-metallic paint? I probably should be posting this in the BodyShop section. I knew it was the one when I just caught a glimpse of it from across the lot and made a beeline to it. My partner started talking about the wheels and I remember saying "what wheels?"...I was that focused on the color lol.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My vote is for the shark gray metallic. For me paint needs to have some sparkle - not bass boat sparkle - just something that catches the light when you look at it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Down to the point of selecting a color now. I had pretty much made my mind up until I ran across this color on a Corvette this evening and the wow factor just spun me around...of course it had to be metallic which I said I would not do.

2016 Corvette Shark Gray Metallic -

Are there any special considerations or problems I would run into with this color vs a non-metallic paint? I probably should be posting this in the BodyShop section. I knew it was the one when I just caught a glimpse of it from across the lot and made a beeline to it. My partner started talking about the wheels and I remember saying "what wheels?"...I was that focused on the color lol.
Funny, that is the exact color I was going with on my chevelle, then I looked at the chart and it seemed too dark to me, I ended up choosing a 2014 Buick pearl color and I am 100% happy with my decision.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Funny, that is the exact color I was going with on my chevelle, then I looked at the chart and it seemed too dark to me, I ended up choosing a 2014 Buick pearl color and I am 100% happy with my decision.
I could never trust a chart or picture when it comes to color. Seeing it in person sealed the deal for me. :thumbsup:

Excuse the crappy pic's...taken with an old flip phone late at night thru a show room window.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You put a mopar color on a gm......blasphemy I tell you
Just kidding, it kind of looks like an old school color, hard to tell from the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You put a mopar color on a gm......blasphemy I tell you
Just kidding, it kind of looks like an old school color, hard to tell from the pics.
It actually looks like this...

I was very interested in a Baby Blue color from a Volswagon beetle as well lol.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Looking good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 207 Posts