Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 super sport needs a dashpad. I've seen them in various catalogs ranging from $139 to $179. Is there any difference in quality? Are they all made by the same manufacturer and marked up differently by the various aftermarket dealers?
This doesn't look like an easy job, so I only want to do it once (but not spend an arm and a leg either!!)

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Mikey, Is this going to be a concours restoration or are you just looking to make it presentable? I re-covered the old dash pad on my '67, using the same material I have on the seats and door panels. It really wasn't that tough...just a little hot glue and maybe a staple here and there. Mine won't ever be judged for originality, so I just wanted it to look better. Lots cheaper than a replacement.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
MIKE
Got mine from ausleys,nice peice,but dadon is right,all depends on what you want!I paid 159.99 for my black one----good day 67RAT member #199

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
The previous owner of my 67 covered the original with his own vinyl and it looked pretty good. I'm planning to buy a new one since I want it to look original though.

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 SS 396
San Antonio, TX
www.sutternet.com/chevelle.asp

·
Registered
994 Posts
A salesman at Year One told me companies like OPG will offer their products to many different vendors. The differance in quality is that companies like Year One will send a buyer to inspect & pick through inventory to get the best quality parts they can. This assures Year One that the parts they sell are a higher quality than the other vendors thus enabling them to charge more money. This is not to say, companies offering less expensive parts are of less quality, just Year One guarantees their stuff to be the best. I learned this while buying the first run of grill extentions for my 67 Elcamino. OPG had them, yet Year One wouldn't even offer them due to poor quality.
I always recieve excellent stuff from Ausleys. I haven't bought anything from Ground Up yet, but intend to research them on future products.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
117 Posts
I aggree with Cardiac. If you go to any of the vendors and look at their products, you'll find good stuff and bad stuff. I do think that you get better quality parts from Year One. If possible, try to hand pick the parts you buy. At least find out about the vendors return policies, restocking fees, who pays shipping, etc. I bought a dash pad from XXXXXX for my 66 Malibu. Was'nt happy with how skimpy they were with the vinyl. Took it back and looked at the other one they had in stock and it was worse. Bought one from OPG on sale for $99 and was very happy with it.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 12-24-1999).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you for your help. I definatley have to replace the dashpad. In addition to the vinyl being cracked, it is pretty warped, with a big wave on the passenger side. You've all given me a lot of good things to consider before deciding which way to go.

Mike

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.