Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the wiper switch on my 67. The only way I can think of doing this is unscrew the switch and push it out of the little hole or take the whole dash out then remove it. Is there anything I can do that is inbetween these two extremes? Does the dash come out as one piece or is there a section I can remove to make it easier to get to the wiper switch?

------------------

–Joe454–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had to do this once before on my '67. Do you have a replacment yet? I think part# is the same for early Camaros? First thing you gotta-do is-git-yer-ass WAY up in the air and crawl under the dash as far as possible. It's kind-a-tuff but you should be able to reach both front and back of the switch at the same time. Tie a string to the switch prior to pulling it out of the dash, it makes for easier reinstallation. You may want to straighten the wires out for easy access when installing the new one. This will be a good time change the dash lights while your on your back.

------------------
"Like-em-All" "Help-em-All"
"Race-em-All" "Lose-a-Lot"
"Always faster at the work bench"

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Joe, two things. One is to remove the dash pad. Like 6 or 8 bolts that hold the pad on. Once you get it off you can access ( with pain since my big mits don;t squueze in there well) back of the switch to unplug it. Then removing the ring is a tricky deal so as not to scratch it. I cut some 5/8 hose, fit it to some pliers and VERY CAREFULLY, loosened it. Remeber, I don't think they make a repop of these. If you could rig up a two fingered tool, or had a set of bend hemostats ( like for fishing)you could easily remove the ring. It's easy. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-10-99).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gene, are you talking about the ring on the outside of the dash(the part you can see?) If thats the part you mean, I started to unscrew mine with my fingers but, I tightened it back up before the switch fell out. I don't have the replacment switch yet. I have been getting by with a good coating of Rain-X® . This stuff really works well. Its very rare that I get caught in the rain. I usually check the weather section of the news paper before I even bring out the chevelle. Gene, I think the rear windows of the 67 were designed to rust out
Even after I wash the car I spend a lot of time soaking up the water out of the chrome moulding at the bottom of the back window. I am thinking(not very seriously) of a way to drill a drain hole from inside the trunk , under the rear moulding, mig weld a little piece of 3/8 pipe where a rubber hose can be attatched and run through the trunk to the ground. All this would be unseen from outside the car.Naw! forget that! just another insane,overkill idea for a minor problem. I'll just stick to pressing towels into the moulding

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 08-10-99).]

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
Joe, Your idea of the drain for the rear window area has been done and it works well. It can be hidden inside the trunk area also. I use my air compressor at about 25psi to dry out the channel. I've done a couple of rear window channels with POR 15, but you still need to dry it out or the clips that hold the trim on will rust.
Good luck on the switch replacement, at least it will only need done once.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea Phil,
The air would be a better solution to the drain hole.Besides, I think even with the drian hole water would still lay under the moulding

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Joe, Re the rear window. Mine is fried as well. Both paint shops said they'd need to pull the rear glass and sandblast it. One of the fellas suggested that I simply caulk around the chrome trim for the time being. I did. First I had to dig out the old broken clips, installed new ones, fit the moulding back on and used a clear outdoor silicone caulk. It took it about a week to dry clear ( that's what the label said )and now it's barely noticeable. The vibration back there is noticeable though! I like the idea of a drain. I'll mention that to whom ever gets to do the paint work.

I check the weather too. Yesterday, I foolishly decided to drive the Chevelle to the next town over ( Rochester about 70 miles one way )on business and got caught in steady rain on the way home. It wasn't so foolish though.At my first client visit, the proprietor of an engine shop literally crawled into my trunk and squared away my trunk latch problem. The second visit was a screw machine shop I was setting up a pension for. The guys loved the car and I think they listened to my presentation more closely because I was a get-your-hands-dirty kind of guy and not some slick insurance salesman driving a Cadillac ( like their last pension guy was). So hey, maybe the resto of my '67 ought be a bonafide buisness expense. Don't think I haven't thought of making up some vinyl " High Performance Pension" decals for nights at the track!

But I digress, yeah that ring that you got off with your fingers is the one I was talking about. Now take out the screws ( not bolts like I said earlier ) that hold the dash pad on ( the pad on top ). Don't forget the two on the outside edges near the doors. Once this is off you can access all the switches and such. I took mine off twice, once for the ignition switch and the second time to replace my wiper switch. The second time though, I did everthing else I needed to in there, speaker replace ( BTW AM radio sucks unless you like talk or really tinny C/W ), pulled the cig lighter to clean it, etc, just so I wouldn't have to do it again.

My wipers work fine but they don't shut off! The shop checked the park thing and it worked once at the shop and then bam, on a sunny Sunday, they began to work again. It's not the switch. It's something more funky. I should post it to see if anyone alse had the same problem. Anyway good luck n talk to ya soon.

Edit - Joe, I forgot to mention that my dash support braces weren't hooked up when I did this so it was relatively easy to open up the gap between the dash and the top. Now that they're installed it might be more difficult. You might want to drop your center brace for this.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-11-99).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
if its a non air car simply reach up under the dash and hold the switch body with your left hand.with the right hand hold the bezel nut. rock the body back and forth(there is a little clearance in the locating slot in the dash)the nut will unscrew with little effort.the switch has long wires and will drop down for easy service. on air cars i wounld disassemble the top of the dash and tip foward as there is too much stuff in the way going in from the bottom.(side note:typically its not the switches fault when the wipers fail, but it gets blamed first.check out the wiper motor first before tackling the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.