Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiring coming from my washer pump looks as if the plug was just torn off at some point in the last 35 yrs. There is still about 2" left of the wires and I would like to splice into them and reconnect the pump before I spend the $$ on a new one. There is a plug at the wiper motor which I assume would connect to the plug from the washer pump if it were still there. My problem is I'm not sure which wire goes to which plug terminal. It looks like both the wires coming from the pump are black. Any clues as to which wire went where?

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone

Daddy's Red Car

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figured one to be ground, the other to be hot, I'm just not sure which was which since that end of the plug is missing the index is gone with it.

The wiring diagram in the Chevrolet Service manual makes it look like the washer pump is attached to the wiper motor, so I assume the two wire plug it shows on the wiper motor is the really the one to the washer pump?
http://www.team67.com/information/engine_lighting.jpg

The question still remains though, which wire from the pump is which since they both appear to be the same color.

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone

Daddy's Red Car

[This message has been edited by rthlc (edited 05-07-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The two wire plug is the pump wiring. Yellow is 12 volts, Dark blue is ground. Dark blue comes from the wiper switch. As far as which of the 2 contacts is which, I can't point that out. Need someone with a 67 to try and descibe that.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's what I thought from the schematic. I guess I will put a jumper on it tonight and see if I can feel it try and pump, worst case is it will short and I will have to replace the pump, which might have been the case anyway since I have no idea why it was disconnected in such a violent manner to begin with.

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone

Daddy's Red Car

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My pump is not the same as the one in that thread. The pump is mounted down on the firewall underneath the master cylinder, about a foot away from the wiper motor. The wiring harness has been pretty much mutilated but the wiring to the wiper motor appears complete and looks similar to the one in the link. I will try and take a digital pic when I get home this evening.

I jumpered over from the yellow wire to one of the bare wires on the pump last night and grounded the other pump wire to the frame (to simulate pressing the washer switch). I could feel the pump try and move so I feel like it is probably rebuildable anyway. I then reversed tbe pump wires to see what happend and it felt like it moved again. I need to pull the washer from the car and test it on the bench before I purchase a rebuild kit.

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone

Daddy's Red Car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts