Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 Chevelle SS 396 came originally with disc brakes.
I will be restoring this car, trying to stay original except for headers, ignition, and updated internal engine components.
My question: should I leave the original disc brake calipers, or save them and use new updayed calipers?

Regards

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Personally, I'd restore and use what you have. The biggest advantage to aftermarket brakes is a larger diameter rotor, and you will probably run into wheel fitment issues with aftermarket brakes if you are retaining original wheels.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian.
I wasnt thinking on changing out rotors, I was thinking along the lines of new bolt on calipers - if that's even possible.
If I can get the original calipers to work ok then I'll do that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If you have truly original calipers, they are 4-piston like so:

They can be rebuilt (probably better than OEM, with stainless steel inserts) but they were known to be prone to leaks. People usually upgrade to the improved design of the '69-'72 single-piston caliper (which is also way cheaper). I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt-on as the part number for the discs is also different (67-68 & 69-72)

But if you want to keep it original (and I would prefer that myself), then rebuilt is good enough; maybe just a little more maintenance along the way. This thread is very insightful about these calipers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was trying to decide what to do with the 4 piston calipers (leaking) on my 68 Elcamino SS396 and couldnt get any answers what it takes to convert to single piston so I just ordered rebuilt 4 piston calipers. This way everything will bolt up with no issues. Be ready for sticker shock on these parts $110 each.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.
Mine are the 4 piston calipers and I had heard that single piston were less prone to problems. I'm somewhat of a purist, but if single pistons are a direct bolt on I will go that route.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I was trying to decide what to do with the 4 piston calipers (leaking) on my 68 Elcamino SS396 and couldnt get any answers what it takes to convert to single piston so I just ordered rebuilt 4 piston calipers. This way everything will bolt up with no issues. Be ready for sticker shock on these parts $110 each.
parts a readily available at any good auto parts store to rebuild them. if no good stores around any Corvette vendor will have them. 65-82 Corvettes used the same one:beers:

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Thanks all.
Mine are the 4 piston calipers and I had heard that single piston were less prone to problems. I'm somewhat of a purist, but if single pistons are a direct bolt on I will go that route.
that would be a foolish assumption and thing to do. while the original design was prone to failure that have came out with better internal designed parts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would be a foolish assumption and thing to do. while the original design was prone to failure that have came out with better internal designed parts
Keith,
I'm not understanding your reply. You're saying the original design was prone to failure, but today's better internal parts have remedied that?

I'll be honest, I'd rather go with original but when it comes to brakes I want to do what's right.
Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
499 Posts
I guess if you were road racing buy aftermarket but just to drive around town reuse your originals

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
65-82 Corvettes used the same one:beers:
NO! :noway:

I'll be honest, I'd rather go with original but when it comes to brakes I want to do what's right.
I had the original calipers from my '67 Vette sleeved by Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. in 1982 when they were about the only ones doing it. End of problem, no more trouble and a solid pedal, no leaks.

I have had four piston calipers re-sleeved on several '67 Chevelles over the years with no problems. A little pricey, but any good original car deserves to keep it's original parts! :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Steve

If you can find someone to turn them I dont see why you cant keep those rotors. Most new rotors are so cheap, alot of shops I know just get new ones, they say its not worth turning rotors. With that philosophy, I can see it being a pain to find someone to keep equipment around to turn a rotor.

Here is what I think about calipers. If can rebuild those, then do so. You will be better off. Often times if you go to a parts store like NAPA or CARQUEST or something along those lines and want to get remans, the castings will not be exactly the same and may cause you a problem with the hoses and then you go through a process that can be a pain to get all that to match up.

Long story short, try and stick with one brand if you have to do something else.

Just have to take the time to see what a aftermarket kit cost are versus what an entire overhaul of the front brakes or whatever versus going to a local reman stuff.

Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for your replies. What a great forum with such knowledgeable memebers.
I will rebuild my originals and go with that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If it were me, I'd throw the originals in dead storage and install the later single piston type. Those early 4 piston designs with the seals traveling with the pistons, unlike the later type where the piston slides thru the seals, are very leak prone. Caliper bores on the early type need to be absolutely perfect, hence why the Vettes went to stainless sleeves.
Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
If it were me, I'd throw the originals in dead storage and install the later single piston type. Those early 4 piston designs with the seals traveling with the pistons, unlike the later type where the piston slides thru the seals, are very leak prone. Caliper bores on the early type need to be absolutely perfect, hence why the Vettes went to stainless sleeves.
Good luck, Jim

no the aftermarket world did

1 - 15 of 15 Posts