Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, finally getting around to doing some work on my 67 this Winter. Thinking of getting these springs to lower the front 2". Does anyone have any personal experience with these BMR springs? If these are not the way to go, what do you recommend? I also considered cutting a coil off the stock spring but read mixed reviews about that approach.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-sp034r/reviews/

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I had BMR and I like them a lot. Why 2 inches? I did 1 inch on my 71 and dropped it nicely to where the tire was sitting perfect in the wheel well. If you have the old springs, you could cut them to get your desired height then order the right springs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had BMR and I like them a lot. Why 2 inches? I did 1 inch on my 71 and dropped it nicely to where the tire was sitting perfect in the wheel well. If you have the old springs, you could cut them to get your desired height then order the right springs.
Good suggestion. My car was sitting high in the front, then I replaced my body mounts so now it's sitting even higher (the originals were so beat they were like pancakes). I now have a 2.5" gap between the top of the front tire and the fender lip which I don't like, I'm thinking 2" drop springs will solve this issue without causing tire rub....but good suggestion on cutting the existing springs as a test. only problem is, if I cut them and it looks good, rides OK...I may not replace them lol.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Also, just to be aware, your original springs may have sagged over the years...

It seems pretty common to replace original springs, and not notice a drop, because "2inch" drop springs generally mean 2-inches from original height, not 2 inches from where it is to sagging now...

Of course, it doesn't sound like its sagging much...

Another thing to check, is that IF the springs or suspension was rebuilt/replaced previously. Not only may a previous owner have already swapped in heavier springs, but someone may have improperly tightened the suspension bolts...

The suspension bolts should be tightened with the full car weight sitting on the wheels... When the bolts are torques to spec, the inner sleeve of the bushing is usually pinched, and the rubber bushings will act like min-torsion springs, making the car sit higher...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, just to be aware, your original springs may have sagged over the years...

It seems pretty common to replace original springs, and not notice a drop, because "2inch" drop springs generally mean 2-inches from original height, not 2 inches from where it is to sagging now...

Of course, it doesn't sound like its sagging much...

Another thing to check, is that IF the springs or suspension was rebuilt/replaced previously. Not only may a previous owner have already swapped in heavier springs, but someone may have improperly tightened the suspension bolts...

The suspension bolts should be tightened with the full car weight sitting on the wheels... When the bolts are torques to spec, the inner sleeve of the bushing is usually pinched, and the rubber bushings will act like min-torsion springs, making the car sit higher...
Thanks for the info, the only thing I replaced was the shocks, not sure how old the springs are but they look old, like originals. I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have new springs in my car and it was sitting to high. I just cut the springs and it works great for me. Just make sure that you cut the upper end. When you do cut them it will make the suspension a little stiffer which I think is a good thing because it improves handling.

Try cutting first and if you don´t like the result then buy new ones. Do not use a cutting torch, use a cut off wheel instead.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have new springs in my car and it was sitting to high. I just cut the springs and it works great for me. Just make sure that you cut the upper end. When you do cut them it will make the suspension a little stiffer which I think is a good thing because it improves handling.

Try cutting first and if you don´t like the result then buy new ones. Do not use a cutting torch, use a cut off wheel instead.
Thanks. Did you say cut the "upper end" ? I thought I read somewhere on this site to cut the bottom end of the spring and align the cut edge about 1/2" away from the stop on the lower control arm. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks. Did you say cut the "upper end" ? I thought I read somewhere on this site to cut the bottom end of the spring and align the cut edge about 1/2" away from the stop on the lower control arm. Is this not the case?
Just to clarify. When you remove your springs there is a flat end and one that looks like a corkscrew........that is where you have to cut; do not cut the flat end. It has been about three month that I done mine and, honestly, I don't remember if the flat end was on top or on the bottom.

By the way, I will remove my springs again and cut them just a little bit more to get the stance I want. Like I said, my springs are near new (still have shiny paint), so no need to replace them. They also much easier to reinstall once cut. I hope this clears up your question.

Hans

·
Vendor
1,485 Posts
1 inch lowering springs are very safe for header clearance, fender clearance and so forth. The 2 inch springs are still pretty safe but give the car a more aggressive stance.

I agree as above, sometimes lowering springs actually raise a saggy car. Even if the ride height doesn't change, the rates and spring performance will be much better.

ramey

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just to add to this. I did a 1" drop by cutting the springs, worked great but now a few years later my 1" is more like 2 and I have issues with tire contact and fears about the headers. I'd like to now go up 1" and looking for an easy way and wondering if adjustable shocks could do the trick?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
I used UMI....first i did 2" and i didn't like it. ride was harsh and stiff plus things rubbed a bit. Then did 1" and it's just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
I used UMI....first i did 2" and i didn't like it. ride was harsh and stiff plus things rubbed a bit. Then did 1" and it's just fine.
UMI stuff?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I have BMR 2" lowering springs all the way around on my 70 and couldn't be happier with the handling and the ride. Goes around corners like a Vette now. Have 215/70/15 fronts and 275/60/15 rears.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Nothing wrong wtih cutting coils
Bought some new replacement sbc with ac coils and cut 1 off.
Sat too high....I made the mistake of tightening the suspension stuff before it was all back in.
So without driving it cut 1 more off. Well....its too low. 1.5" drop type woulda been perfect. Will probably just put in a 3/8 or 1/2 spacer under ea one eventually seems all springs are different and after having one richochet quicker than I could see it launch and somehow escape a chain I dont mess with em lol.
Sounds like the 1 in rear and 2 in front the most popular for EC and 2/2 for the chevelles

A station wagon spring in the rear is a cheap way of making it lower than stock but not quite as low as a Hotchkiss 1". Not sure why maybe they were just old.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I used the UMI 2" lowering springs and it is just right. As far a raising it back up, the inexpensive way is to use a urethane spacer. They come in various thicknesses and are great for fine tuning. Coilover shocks will do the same, but they are expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts