Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems there is a guy out there by the name Glenn Zirkle that likes to scam people on parts. He sold me a set of restored hi/lo horns for $74 and will not respond to me. What can I try to get these to work? Someone said try hitting them with a hammer, someone else said turn the thumb screw. What is in them that does not work?

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Before you hit anything with a hammer, I would confirm that all my connections & grounds were clean. Then I would confirm that my horn relay is in working order. Trouble is, I'm not actually sure how to actually test a horn relay. :confused:

Also make sure your horn contacts on the steering wheel are properly installed & not broken.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Wow...horns don't blow but the Seller does...:(

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I thought the screw only adjusted the horn pitch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bought a horn relay from the same seller in November of last year. It's been sitting on the shelf until needed. Guess I better test it.

You're testing them the same way I did, neg to mount, pos to terminal, 12v with a battery.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Check with Gary at The Horn Works- http://www.classiccarhorns.com/
608-361-0095
Good guy to deal with, I was very pleased with his work.:thumbsup:
BillL

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
If the adjustment screw is turned to far either way the horn will not work. many times the contact inside the horn just needs a little cleaning like a fine wire brush cleaning. Of course you have to remove the rivets to get it open..
Rebuilding to like new condition is like $180

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Make sure you have a heavy enough wire size going to the horn. They use quite a lot of power. That's one of the reasons for the horn relay. :)
Squido

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I followed this first line of advice on my two horns and got them to work. Set adjust screw to middle position, tap around the mating edge where the two haves come together. This will help loosen on corrosion that typically accumulates in the horn and shake the debris out while rotating the horn so debris can come out. Next flood with WD-40 and rotate to allow WD-40 to come out. Do this several times. I tested mine with a battery charger - both then worked after this cleaning process.

There are rebuild kits on the market so you can use your existing housings and they are reasonable. I can't think of it know, but there is a Corvette restoration supplier that carries these.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
There are rebuild kits on the market so you can use your existing housings and they are reasonable. I can't think of it know, but there is a Corvette restoration supplier that carries these.
Zip Corvette has the rebuild kits-
Item M-3065 www.zip-corvette.com
Problem is, if your coils are bad, the horn still won't work.:( BTDT.
BillL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts