Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tubular control arms

Hey guys i am looking at 2 types of control arms for my 1967 chevelle 350 sbc.i am looking at johnny law who sells helix or speedway motors who make there own. Has anyone used either of these? i am looking at no modifications. thank you in advance

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
Re: tubular control arms

Avoid the Helix IMO. They have earned a bad reputation here and other places.

I'd check UMI and BMR. I think the Speedway version has china ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey guys there is a sale on tubular front control arms. I am looking at johnny law that are built by helix and speedway motors who I think make there own. I know to replace ball joints with moog. but has anyone used either 1 of these ? I am on a tight budget. my original lowers have cracks so i want to replace them . I am looking for a no modification if i can. thank you in advance

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
I was looking at the Speedway motors control arms. Great prices but in the ask a question, they said they do not carry replacement poly bushings and you'll have to have custom set built when time comes to replace them. Jim

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes I have them. Mine are from a seller on ebay, but are the same ones speedway sells. A factory in China cranks these out and lots of places sell them. As far as I can tell they are identical to the first design original Global West geometry plus arms, but with cheap ball joints. Maybe the factory that used to make them for GW kept making them after GW changed their design. Who knows?

The ball joints are crap, arms seem to be fine. I drove about 4000 miles on them last summer. I was easily able to get 6 degrees of caster. I have had no problems with them.

The bushings are not poly, they are some sort of aluminum, maybe what GW used to call delalum. There is a plasticy poly spacer thing on end of the bushing.

They just bolt right in place of the originals.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Tom, have you found a place that sells replacement bushings?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I bought my new Front Control Arms # 403133 from UMI Perf for my 67
A-Arm Kits : UMI Performance, Inc.
great fitting, finish well built parts made in the USA
they came completely ready to install
and was easy to do the Front end alignment according to the Alignment Shop

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,332 Posts
combined your two threads. please refrain from multiple posting on the same question.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There's just something about cruising down the parkway at 80-90 and thinking about having these under my car...

I'd rather pay the dough to one of our company's knowing somebody like me made them..

But to each his own, hope it works out for you..

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,332 Posts
>>> "I'd rather pay the dough to one of our company's knowing somebody like me made them.. "

Yeah, that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts