Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of taking out my interior to have it redone. I got the front buckets out o.k and I am having trouble with the backseat. What is the trick? Also, I took the console out (I have a 4 speed). Where can I buy a new one? I can not seem to find anyone who sells it. The one I have is pretty good, maybe I can refinish it? Any tips on how to do so?

Thanks-SSBOSTON

·
Registered
363 Posts
The back seat cushion (bottom) is held in at two points underneath. You should be able to get a light in there to see. The bottom-front of the cushion has to get pushed toward the rear of the car and lifted in order to let the "catches" come free. Once you get past them, the cushion just lifts out. The seatback then lifts straight up and should come right out. I don't believe anyone makes a replacement console for the 67. (Not enough demand) Others have redone theirs. Do a search and you should find something or, wait a bit, and someone else will probably pipe up. Good Luck!

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
Yous got a problem wit dat?
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction" - Still!
Parts left over = Less weight!
Gold #43

·
Registered
149 Posts
I recently refinished mine. Take it apart. This consists of 4 main pieces: the bottom plastic piece, the top front half that holds the clock, the top back half that the door connects to, & the door.

For the bottom plastic, I cleaned it, sprayed with self etching primer, & applied Krylon satin spray paint.

For the door, I removed the catch (one screw) & used lacquer thinner to remove the old paint. Used the same Krylon satin after applying grey primer.

The top back half is chromed pot metal. I used a polishing compound to cleam mine although my chrome is in poor condition & should be re-done.

The top front half is also chrome pot metal that is spray painted in the center. I used lacquer thinner to remove old paint & polishing compound to polish the unpainted portions. Tape off the areas that remain chrome (outer edge, clock bezel) then primer & apply final color.

I did not re-apply the "fuzzy stuff" inside the console. I don't know who sells this stuff, but I believe I read about it on this site. I think it is powdery type stuff that you apply after spraying the surface with an adhesive.

Year One sells a few pieces for the 66-67 consoles; both upper & lower boots, shift boot retaining ring, & mounting brackets.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

[This message has been edited by SibbsSS (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hinshaws phone # is 336-586-0802.They do excellent work.Call James for some tips,he's been doing this for over 20 years.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Like Don says, get in front of that seat, both arms on the outside and push down and back, you should feel the outboard "clips" give it up and then there is another in the center. Once you get the motion right, its a cinch, if you dont, its truly a PITA.

EDIT: SSBOSTON, I vivdly recall wrestling with the damn thing, going in the house,going on line, running a search here and finding the answer. Once you get the motion right, you wont beleive how easy it is.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I had no problem pulling the seat cushion from my '67, just push the foreward edge of the cushion rearwards while pulling the seat up. It sounds like a contradiction, but it works. Getting it back in for keeps has proven to be a PITA for me though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.