Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I did a search this morning and I could not find a picture of how the green wire is properly laid from the fire wall to the factory compessor.
1967 malibu, 283, factory air: We were at a open show this Saturday and we were in Chevy All Class and all the judges were from the ford mustang club. I'm not going to bad mouth them but that is what we had. Will judging our car (yes he talked to us) the judge said ford ran or laid their a/c wires like this and like that and it just doesn't look right under our hood. It's been bugging the XXXX out of me since then. I know he will be at the next open show on the 26th, Memorial Day at the Audie Murphy Hospital. He won't be judging but he will be showing his 6 banger there and I either have to tell him he is real wrong or crawfish and tell him he is right. Either way I need to know.
Blood pressure up and now on the way down.
sassy 67

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need some help, I have searched several times again and I cannot find a photo or someone describing how the green wire, hot wire, is suppose to lay (routed) from the fire wall to the compressor as delivered fom the factory on a 67 chevelle, 283, with factory air. I have looked at my manuals and they show the wire but not how it layed (routed). Appreciate any guidance.
thanks
sassy 67

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Sassy, I am looking at my 66 Assembly Manual and the green wire runs straight from where it breaks out of the harness at the blower to the heater hose clamp. The wire makes a single pass through the clamp inbetween, but not under, the hoses. The wire then runs with no additional clamps to the compressor where it plugs into the compressor with the green wire toward the fender skirt in the double plug. In the diagram, the green wire only contacts the heater hoses when it passes through the fender skirt clamp and does not lay along the hoses anwhere. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
If you have a Factory Assembly Instruction Manual, check C60 sheet E4 - not big block/small block specific. It shows the wire running to the clip on the fender skirt for the heater hoses then to the wire loom. Most seen today do not bother with the heater hose clip routing since they've probably been serviced with replaced hoses and the wire wasn't returned to the clip.

Here are two 67's (same as 66) from my photo collection that do appear to be 'correct'.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne, Dale thank you, first off I apologize, I looked in my assembly manual and just overlooked it and I should not have ask for help, it was right in front of me. I thought I rememebered from my original chevelle it layed along the fender as the book and both of you said, I remember changing heater hoses and the wire being in the way.
When we reworked the car I layed it under the AC line and then used 3 small black tie wraps to hold it inplace on the bottom side of the insulation. You can't see the wire except at the fire wall and then just at the compresson connection and the tie wraps blended in real good. I'll have to tell the ford guy he was right, it was not properly run but I will take my manual with me to show him how it was routed from the factory.
thanks a lot and enjoy this weekend,
"Memorial Day, remember what they did for us and what they ment to us"
sassy 67

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Sassy and Dale. Hopefully, this is not hijacking, but I could use a bit of information on this same, or similar, subject. I am restoring my 66 SS AC sytem. The only remaining parts I need are barrier hoses and a condenser. I have sources for the both, but I don't know how much barrier hose to buy. Could you tell me the size and length of each of the 4 AC hoses on my system? For AC barrier hose sizes, I think the compressor to condenser is #8, condenser to drier #10, drier to expansion valve #10, and POA to compressor #12. If you could provide a rough estimate of the length of each of these hoses, I would add a foot and order them. Thanks, Wayne

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Afraid I can't help on that one. Sizes/lengths aren't listed and parts book lists hose replacements only as a 10ft length of bulk hose to be cut to length. I'm sure someone here has a 66 BB w/AC that can measure what they have. Might also try a new thread in the Restoration or Chevelle Tech forums where it'll be spotted easier.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Actually Dale, I think I can estimate the hose lengths close enough from your photos. Thanks for this and all the other help you give TC'ers. Have a great holiday. Wayne

PS. Sorry Sassy, I think I have fully hijacked your post now. But we're done.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Wayne, the following is what we have installed on our car. When we took it apart we matched what was on the car and the system and R12 has been in it and working since Jun 2005, still blowing cold.
Compressor to condenser: Goodyear hose, 1/2" size 10 X 53" (+ or - and inch)
Condenser to dryer: Goodyear hose, 13/32" size 8 X 40" (+ or - and inch)
Dryer to expansion valve: Goodyear hose, 13/32 size 8 X 17" ( + or - and inch)
POA to Compressor: Powerseal Hose, 5/8" .16mm X 35" (+ or - and Inch)
I hope this helps, I would really need to pull the battery to get the exact measurements so the + or - is in the measurements.
take care
sassy 67

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.