Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a nice set of 67 bucket seats. They just need to be recovered and the metal backs need a paint job. I have the seat covers and was planning on droping these off at a shop to recover. But after looking at these seats, they really don't seem that complicated to recover. Is this a job better left to a professional? If not, what tools will I need to make the job easier? I would appreciate feedback from any of you who have been there and done that!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I've tried it twice and ended up at the trim shop both times. I usually do all my own work but that job kicked my $%%.
Roger

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm doing my seats now. I metal backs and sides at a paint shop now to be powder coated and will take the seats to a pro to put my supplied covers and foam on. From what I've read here, it sounds like it is worth the money. I know my limits and I know when it is time go to an expert.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
If you do use a trim shop, tell them up front that you are picky and you want the seams straight or your going to make them do it again. Then check them good when you pick them up.

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
It really depends on your ability, patience and money...

I did my own several years ago when I didn't have extra money (college student)... Because they are mine, and I did the work, I notice every little flaw and wrinkle (installation-wise)... But all my friends,etc think I am nuts when I point out the flaws because they are not really glaring. If you look at the seats closely, you can see wrinkles in some areas, but overall, nothing I am too ashamed of...

IMO, if you are building a driver and with limited funds (or you enjoy the pride of doing it yourself), I'd personally try it. It takes some time, and you want the covers nice and warm (set in the sun light for a few days to let the packaging wrinkles ease out, then maybe try installing the covers in the late afternoon when they are warm (and will stretch a little better)... try one seat at a time...

I am pretty sure that even if you don't do a good job you can probably/usually still have a shop R&R the new covers without problems...

Plus, I always am more impressed when someone does it themselves...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts