Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question: on your '67, do your brake lights work whilst either indicator is on?

On my '67 they do not, just curious if it's a factory thing or someone has had their busy little fingers into something.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
It is impossible for both to work at the same time, it uses the same filament in the bulb. The turn signal switch cancels the brake light on the side it is engaged when signaling a turn.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I didn't word it correctly ;)

You're coming up to an intersection to turn left, you indicate and apply the brakes at the same time and the LH Indicator/Brake lamp flashes.

Does the RH Brake light stay illuminated if you LH indicator is going and your braking, or does it go out :confused:

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
When turning left the RH brake light will be on, when turning right the LH brake light will be on if the turn signals are engaged.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Phillip, I obviously have a problem as neither brake lamp stay illuminated when either indicator is on :(

I will investigate on the weekend :)

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Do the brake lights work with the turn signals off? If the 4 way flashers are on what happens when you apply the brakes?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Most likely the tail light socket isn't making a complete ground where it plugs into the tail light housing. I'd start by cleaning up that area.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
hi Jim, well as some have said is it just the left side, then maybe its a bad socket if it doing this on both i check sockets both sides wiring to and and check all grounds if you think its a ground make sure the engine to chassis ground is there if not make one up start fresh, dumb question are the bulbs in correctly it would do the same. if all is good back there go foward, on my 67 chevelle my lights were working good, when i restored my steering column and replaced the turn signal switch all the wires in the flat harness were all shaved of insulation was just a matter if time till i would have had a problem

also have you checked all lights reverse as well as interior lamps, did you check to see if you have front turn signals as well as parking lights?????? well hope this helped good luck and keep us posted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts