Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a hurst shifter with console.Need to find someway to run backup lamps. Is there a way the org.bracket & switch from muncie can be made to work?

------------------
CFR.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't know what the original bracket & switch look like, but Hurst does sell a bracket and switch for Competition Plus shifters. I don't have the part number handy, but it's in their on-line catalog.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
Larry,
That is a good way to go. Another way is to use a mid-60s Vette switch, bracket (attaches to side cover bolts) and rod. The switch is now repo, but the bracket and rod WERE still available from Chev. That is what I have on my 70 conv.

------------------
Tom Parsons

L

·
0 Posts
No offense DZ, but the Hurst unit is available at any parts joint that carries Hurst stuff and relatively cheap. And it's all-in-one. No looking here and there for different parts.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
CFR, I went through this last year. The Hurst Install kit does allow the original reverse light switch to be mounted. For a '67 it's a convoluded affair with a actuating rod, etc. You'll notice the reverse arm has a little hole in it for this rod. The stock reverse switch is around $50-70 and comes in two pieces.

I bought the Hurst universal switch which mounts on the rear stop bolt for $18. Easy and quick HOWEVER a few things you should know about,

It just hangs under there fully exposed to the elements. Someone suggested encasing it in a mastic like compound which I just may do when I swap trannies. Heck, when in doubt I use RTV for almost anything.

Secondly, ans this is a typical Gene Chaas the "hapless wannbe gearhead" move, I kept popping the fuse when I put my new restored Ebrake on. After checking under the dash and finding nothing, I looked under the car and found that when I tightened my ebrake cable it shorted out the reverse switch which was on the same circuit.

There's one I almost posted on here - what a dolt!

Lastly, I did not run the wiring up to the 2 pin connector on the firewall, but simply brought it back up through the floor ( after wrapping in duct tape to reduce chafing) and right up under the dash.

I wheeled the stock reverse switch clusterfutz for $50, although it does look like a sturdier unit. I don;t drive the 67 that much.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-18-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,now at lease i have somewhere to start.Now that Gene has all the bugs worked out,I will try it the same way. Thanks

------------------
CFR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.