Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory ammeter doesn't work on my 67 Chevelle SS 396. I have 2 wires that come from behind the instrument cluster (pink and green) then go to a connector plug that is fastened to the steering column, then changes to green and dark green and continues on to the firewall. In the engine compartment, these 2 wires (green and dark green) are not connected to anything. Does anyone know where these wires are supposed to go? and are these the wires for my ammeter or are they for something else?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The wires you mentioned are for your back-up lights. The light green/ dark green in the engine compartment go to a switch on the transmission. The wires for ammeter are taped in the wiring harness. Check to see if you have a fusible link burned out. There are 2 for the ammeter. One will be on a ring terminal at the junction block in front of the battery. The other is just a loop that is located in the breakout of wires that go to the horn relay.
*EDIT*
If you have one that is burned out, replace it with the same gage. The fusible link is 20 gage , the wire it protects is 16 gage.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The wires, you're referring to are for the back up lights. Pink, green and light green, dark green.

"In the engine compartment, these 2 wires (green and dark green) are not connected to anything."

The two green wires should connect to a switch mounted on the trans.

The amp gauge has black and black/white wires that pass through the firewall and are connected to the horn relay, black/white, and the J-block, black, next to the battery.

One way to check/troubleshoot would be to disconnect the black #14 wire from the J-block. Measure the voltage on the lifted wire.

If you have voltage you know you have a complete circuit from the horn relay to the amp gauge and to the j-block. The gauge it's self is likely the problem.

If you don't have voltage you have an open circuit. I don't know this for sure but I think the two wires each have a fusible link on the relay/J-block ends.

Another way would be to unplug the connector from the amp gauge, pull it down and check for voltage on the two wires.

A wire without voltage indicates an open circuit.

The problem can be a fusible link, a bad connection at the bulkhead connector, a cut wire, a bad gauge??? etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info! You wouldn't happen to know what the color of the ammeter wire is where it is connected to the horn relay would you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I had already sent my question about the wire color before I read your E-mail - Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts