Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,
while walking around the great cars at super chevy maple grove,I seen at least 4 ss427 67 chevelles.from reading posts these must be copo cars,but these cars appear to be ss396 cars with 427 badges and the mill,were these emblems provided to the dealers only for copo" s.thought copo,s were striped down base models with the 427 mill installed with only the parts to make it work!-----please explain--please---67RAT member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
67RAT, yeah I got one of those in my garage too.

We were squawking up on the IRC chat last night and I mentioned a 67SS427.

No go man. I think Skip reserached this extensively and found the same thing. Everybody mentions a story or two but...

Were they tripower cars? They would;ve been if this ever happened. Tri with cast heads.

In fact in my assembly manual, the picture of the cancelled tripower option appears but it's on a 396 mill.

The emblems and badges are avail from Year One and others. I sent the front/ rears back but put the 427 emblems on my fenders.

As I told the boys last night. I should;ve kept them, could;'ve "trolled for suckers" at some local shows.

As far as I'm concerned no such animal exisited. I know that the original owner of my 67 popped the 396 by running 4.88's. He was going to put a Chev 427 mill but warranty wouldn't cover it.( although the dealer put the 488's in as the STORY, repeat STORY goes) so the car sat for over 10 years. I suppose the swap might have occured in a few instances, but certainly not under a COPO order.

Remember that our year is the last year that the SS396 was an actual body style. In later years it was just a trim feature. So the later Copos were definitely plain Janes, no SS cars. But in 67 they would've have to have been the SS396. A local COPO authority told me I should run "service rims" if I wanted to give my car a COPO look. ( the ones with the small moon hubcap like my 66 Biscayne winter rat used to have. He's a COPO "expert" and he said no go as well)

Most of what I'm saying is Skips research that I gleaned here.

BTW, IMO one of the biggest brainfarts Chev marketing ever made. Becuase you know and I know the combination is AWESOME!

Dude, buy the grill/rear badges from Year One and go "trolling for suckers". W.C. Fields said there was born every minute.

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-12-2000).]

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gene and gene
thanx for replys,I run the emblems,dont feel like a liar,just like to advertize what is making all the noise,so next time I see a 67 ss 427 chevelle at a show,I can think,hey,no different than mine---thanx again---67RAT

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
67RAT 427 was not offered from the factory in 67. The 396 to 427 was a popular swap back in the 60's. Even dealers would do this when warr. work called for a new engine.Of course it cost a couple bucks extra.I have one with the work order dated 2-68. There were dealers that built their own cars with the 427 and other goodie's . They are hard to find today.The 427 badages come off Impala fender's

------------------
CFR.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gene chas,
I know your into super bees,seen one here in p.a. for 2500,black,white strip,383 4speed,so tempting,love them cars,maybe it is just that little bee with the slicks motor and helmet,no its more than that,they are plain awsome------when I was twelve a freinds, brothers ,freind had a orange 70,I had dreams of that beast---67RAT member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rat, I didn;t mean to imply anything by running those emblems. Liar is a bit harsh. A fella the next town over runs them on his very sweet black 67 427. I never consider him a liar and don;t. ( One of the reason I didn;t run them is that he and I tend to e at the same events!). I know a lot of guys must run them becuase they're in every resto catalog I have YO, GU, etc. But, me, hey SS396 was the body style so IF a dealer ever transplanted a 427 they would've only swapped the fender emblems is all.

Gene, but the Impala badges are the fender badges right? I was referring to the grill/tail emblem.

Once again, one of the biggest mistakes Chevy ever made and the damn cars DESERVE A 427!!!!

The lying only begins if we try to sell our cars and misrepresent them as "SS427" Chevelles. Which is as Skip put it, the car Chevy should've made.

One of the reasons I've got a bug up my tail to run the tripower. It would;ve been that way. ( but not with the square 492? alum port 2nd gen heads).

So RAT, you gots the same thing everyone else gots at those shows. JUST A SH&&LOAD FASTER!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree 100,000% (is that possible?) that a Chevelle should have a 427. That is why I bought my 68 w/a 427. I just "swapped" the old 327 badge for a set of 427's... not to fool anyone, or try to get more $$$ for the car someday. Just to advertise what is really under the hood. If it is not an original car, why not spruce it up a little?

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Okay I want on this band wagon! Chevelles should have a 427, or maybe even bigger

As for factory original 67 427 cars I think Skip did a dang good job on the research(I have seen one motion performance chevelle). If one existed I think the magazines of that era would have to taken one for a test ride
. This link is pretty good reading on the subject>>History Of Motion Performance

My plan for my 68 L78 project is to run a 427 in place of the missing EG code 396,w/4spd, 4.56s and all

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS
[email protected]
MY 68 SS396(454)
My 68SS396(454)(pic2)

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,652 Posts
Gene, I believe 1968 was the last year for the SS396 body style, at least as a separate model. 1969 was the first year for the SS396 as an option package.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jeff, my vote is that you run the venerable old L88, high CR,oem cam, etc. It'll love those 4.56s and you'll love your 7100 rpm shift points!!!

YEAH

Should have a completely different feel than the 496. ( and might, er, even be quicker!)

Gene, I see, so those emblems would've been available in '67. I didn;t know that.

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 02-13-2000).]

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Baldwin/Motion, Nickey, and other Chevy dealers sold new 67 427 Chevelles but they were dealer installed engines. They put 427 Corvette or Impala emblems on some of the cars. I have some old magazines articles of these cars. If someone bought a new 67 427 Chevelle from one of the dealers doing the conversions, they may consider the 427 as the original engine. The only factory installed 427 engines in the Chevelle was when Chevy made the COPO 427 Chevelle in 1969.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gene,
no afence taken here,I just beleive in posting what your runnin!this issue has always baffled me,so I ask here and get the right answer,thats why I love it here!as for the 427--In my book,no other motor qwite has the mistique,o.k. maybe the hemi-maybe!I fell apon my 427---Im so glad I did,good starting point of a heavy dudy mill----67rat member #199

·
Registered
336 Posts
FWIW it was not really Chevy's fault for not using the 427's in the Chevelle or Camaro. Blame the Corporate GM edict of 400 cubes maximum in intermediate cars that was not lifted till the 70 model year. Remember there was supposed to be a 330 cube limit in 64 but Pontiac had the stones to make the GTO at 389 cubes instead of 326. Chevy's only fault was not having the Cohones to stand up to the corporate wuss bags by promoting the COPO cars more extensively

------------------
Frank W
Arlington MA
74 Laguna S3 !! ( No motor yet)
73 Malibu Coupe Mighty 305 Power
hometown.aol.com/folingo/

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 02-14-2000).]

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hey guys, there wasn't a factory 67 made with a 427, but there was one 66 made with a 427. Chevy made it for a prototype for Nascar, but Nascar said the car was get this, too light & too fast. I did a few weeks of research on this. The car is in some car museum, I forget which one though. All I know is it's red, 4 spd, 427 engine made by Chevy. And look at it this way, if Chevy put 427s in early Chevelles, we desimate the competition even more than we already did back in the 60s & 70s
Heck, the Ford Fairlane 390 couldn't keep up with the 396, the Hemi had trouble from it too...imagine a 427, would their be the Big 3 still if they had one? I still love to see em in those ol square cars though.

------------------
Jay
In-the-works 67 Malibu
My page with my ugly mug on it!
Backyard Builders

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.