Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Guys, the 66 ss finally arrived and is in my garage. I bought it off the internet sight unseen. The owner did send alot of pictures and #'s and I decided to take a shot at it. Problem was it was in Wash. State and I live near philly. After a few nervous days it finally arrived by transport. Fortunately its exactly as the seller described it.

I have pictures of it on my website, I'll add to it as I progress. As you can see I have my work cut out for me. The previous owner had already started a resto. The frame has been sandblasted and rust coated. The #'s matching block has already been machined and the tranny has been rebuilt. The front and rear suspension is done and the rear is redone. I guess I'll see for sure when I get the body off, but he saved me SOME time and money. The interior is pretty much gone. Lots of rust around the rear window, trunk and dash.

I can't wait to get started, I'm sure I'll be posting lots of questions, this is my first frame-off, so I'm not quite sure what I'm getting into but I do have a 71 chevelle that I've been "restoring" the last 5 years, so I have a pretty good idea. I'm plan on keeping the 71 as my daily driver, and this one will be my toy!

If anyone knows of a good machine shop in the bucks county/philly area let me know. I'd like to get the block checked again. Not that I don't trust the previous owner, but I don't.

Thanks

Corey Vandiver

71 chevelle 307
66 chevelle ss396

http://users.snip.net/~chopperroxie

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Congrats, Corey. Just out of curiosity, can you tell us where the car was advertised and what you had to pay for it? Good luck with the resto! It should be a great car when its all done.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,008 Posts
Who was it? George Bush? "Trust but verify."
Tom

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it on the classified2000 website. I found it about 2 weeks ago and it had been on there since jan 29. He said he got alot of calls on it, I guess nobody wanted to ship it from Wash.

I paid $3500 for it and spend $1000 to ship it. All in all I think I broke even, considering the work that already been done, ( thats assuming it done right).

I'm real happy with it, its exactly what I was looking for, which is one of the reasons I decide to take a chance on it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress, if I could just figure out where to start :')

Corey

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Corey,
I wish you the best of luck with the SS.
They are getting harder to come by every week. I am going to Connecticut, from Boston, to pick up my 2nd this week-end. The Wife wants one now ! Any how, I'm sure I am speaking for many others when I say "How about some pictures from under the HOOD !!!"

Dan

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Congrats Corey, Great find, I hope you will purchase an assembly manual if you didn't get one with the car. Don't hurry through the resto process and do it so you only assemble it once. As you probably know there's plenty of help here.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Thanks for the info, Corey. It sounds like you got it for a good price, especially considering the original motor came with it. So how long 'til its on the road???

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Here's the site clickable: http://users.snip.net/~chopperroxie
Looks like you gotta a decent deal Corey! I agree with Dan post some underhood pics! Good Luck with your new project!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow...I think I let my partially restored 69 SS go too cheap! I started a frame-off restoration but ran out of time, cash, ambition and all that good stuff. I just sold it last month for $6500.00 and the guy is coming for it on saturday. Anyways, good luck on your project! Can't wait to see it done!

http://members.aol.com/amhpd17/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Bruce(amhpd17)-
Why is the soon to be gone 69 sitting so high in those pics on your page? Is it supposed to have a rake to it and just looks level because there's no motor? Or is the motor in?
Just curious...

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Tom, it was Dan Rather who said, "I trust my mother, but I aways verify her sources" or words to that effect.
John Walker

·
Registered
57 Posts
Steve,

The car has no glass, interior or engine in it in these pictures...also brand new springs and suspension.
I think that with no weight in the car it sits up much higher....besides, I installed Big Block with Air cond. springs to achieve a tall stance.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for all the e-mails and replys, its great to hear from others who appreciate what I have. I posted a few more pictures on the site, some under the hood and one of the block. The engine compartment is pretty much bare, as you can see.

I'm going to try to remove the body and fenders, hood, trunk, etc. this weekend and start working on the chassis.

Keep checking back

Thanks

Corey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.