Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Putting the finishing touches on my 66 Malibu resto and am putting the windshield trim back on. Apparently the guy that took off the trim broke off some of the clips. I've searched the forum and watched some You Tube but need some advice before I try replacing them. Do they pull out or are they screwed in? Sort of looks like both from what I've read. Any tips to help me replace the broken ones?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Todd, the clips lock onto studs welded to the windshield channel. If the studs are good, new clips can be installed in just a few minutes. If the studs are toast, repro studs are available that screw into the channel. If you've already painted the car, the screw-in studs will be the least painful fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is painted. What is the best way to get the old ones out? The guy on You Tube just wiggled and pulled them out with needle nose.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Yes, it is painted. What is the best way to get the old ones out? The guy on You Tube just wiggled and pulled them out with needle nose.
Most of the studs on my 67 were rusted away, so after repairing the channel I drilled tiny pilot holes for the new studs to screw into. The new studs don't have to be in exactly same locations as originals, just be sure the studs are at the same depth in the channel, so the trim will sit correctly on the glass..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. There is little to no rust in the channels and the studs that are missing the clips look fine. I just want to make sure I don't break off any studs trying to get the broken clips out. Before I start yanking and prying on them, any tips on the best way to go about removing them?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks. There is little to no rust in the channels and the studs that are missing the clips look fine. I just want to make sure I don't break off any studs trying to get the broken clips out. Before I start yanking and prying on them, any tips on the best way to go about removing them?
Here is a link to the replacement clips. If you zoom in you can see how they slide onto the pin and what locks them into place. Should be obvious how to remove them from there.

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1966/moldings/hardware/I91400/

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
they just need to be pulled out but they are made of hardened steel and have little clips holding them in place. But the clips are weaker than the studs welded to the body .
Hint: the replacement clips don't clip well to factory rim. I found that original clips have more of a clip edge there to "grab" onto the trim. So I threw away many EBay sets of replacement clips and reused factory clips from junkyard cars on my builds. Good luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good to know. I already ordered a set. I hope I don't end up throwing them out. I'll let you know.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts