Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Supersport | eBay

Maybe this has been discussed before? Looks just as nice if not better than a 66SS sold at BJ last Thursday. Some minor restoration mistakes. What about the fit of the eyebrow/hood lip, just bad work or repo hood?

But no documentation mentioned and if the engine, trans, and rear are original. Also a big ? mark, the vin tag has been removed and replaced or swapped. I wonder if the frame vin matches the door pillar. Interesting that the cowl tag indicates a auto and car has a 4 sp, thinking the cowl tag might be original and a 4 sp swapped in for a auto which was usually paired with AC.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Does look to be an aftermarket hood, given the short front drop and the lineup across the fenders. Not sure, but I'd suspect the aftermarket hoods weren't drilled for the hood spear so maybe just an oversight by the restorer?

Sharing some personal trivia here...
I've got a '66 chevy van I painted '66 willow green and had a quart left over.
I bought a quart of '66 Tropical turquoise I used for the top of my dash on the '66 Malibu, so I had most of a quart left over.
Mixing those two colors roughly 60/40 gives you a dead match to the '66 Artesian turquoise.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, since we are in the WIW forum... maybe someone can comment on the price. $47K.

Seems pretty high, a great, very clean 66, but is it a near 50K car?

I've seen some other, very clean examples in the upper 30's, why would this be upper 40's?

Another trivia bit: The after market hoods would be the late style, so is you have an early style hood, it wouldn't be aftermarket. I can't tell 100% by the pictures he posted if that's an early or late hood, but the scoops lay low, which should be the late hood.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Very nice looking 66!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It doesn't say numbers matching, I would assume it isn't but it's still a nice looking car regardless. I would say if it looks as good in person as the pictures show I would value it the low 40s if it's numbers matching low 50s.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It doesn't say numbers matching, I would assume it isn't but it's still a nice looking car regardless. I would say if it looks as good in person as the pictures show I would value it the low 40s if it's numbers matching low 50s.
Wow, $10K for numbers matching vs NOM?

I've seen a number of cars coming out with 454 and still asking what seems to be top dollar. Didn't think that NM would add that much value, however, I didn't think it would be in the 40's either. Looks like the market is back for old muscle cars.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow ...one fine looking car!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,279 Posts
Asking price has nothing to do with selling price.

I could put my '66 up for $100K; doesn't mean I'll get it.

Repop hood looks like crap in front; and the bucket upholstery work is subpar, imo.

I do love the color scheme. :D

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,416 Posts
I'm almost positive Southern Motors had this car up for sale recently. Some of the pictures even look like the ones in front of their building. They have another one also on their website now that is the same color but no vinyl top. That hood molding does stick right out almost looks like it may be the eyebrows being too low that are causing it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Asking price has nothing to do with selling price.

I could put my '66 up for $100K; doesn't mean I'll get it.

Repop hood looks like crap in front; and the bucket upholstery work is subpar, imo.

I do love the color scheme. :D
This is one of the problems with the "that's what they're going for" saying.

In order for it to really have any value, you have to look at the number of cars up for sale, number of buyers at that time, quality of the car, reason why it's being sold, etc...

If we had 20 sub-par SS's up for sale by people that really needed the money they could sell for $5K each. Would that mean that everyone's SS is now worth $5K ?

Same on the other end of the scale. Without knowing how many buyers and sellers there are and they condition of each car, it's really meaning less.

I just went thru this with a motorcycle where someone was offering 1/2 blue book and kept doing a brutal beat down. He called back weeks later asking if it was still for sale.

You don't have to be an expert on stats to realize that these numbers have little meaning. IMO, condition alone is a HUGE factor.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm almost positive Southern Motors had this car up for sale recently. Some of the pictures even look like the ones in front of their building. They have another one also on their website now that is the same color but no vinyl top. That hood molding does stick right out almost looks like it may be the eyebrows being too low that are causing it.
Bingo, my buddy told me to look at this car on Ebay (he is looking for a 66) the 1st thing I texted him was the car is at Southern Motors and they have been trying to sell it for a couple months now on Ebay. He said its not a southern motors, so I thought it might be another car, but I am almost certain it is the same car, not many willow green SS's around.

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,416 Posts
Bingo, my buddy told me to look at this car on Ebay (he is looking for a 66) the 1st thing I texted him was the car is at Southern Motors and they have been trying to sell it for a couple months now on Ebay. He said its not a southern motors, so I thought it might be another car, but I am almost certain it is the same car, not many willow green SS's around.
I thought the car may have been on consignment with them but they say they don't consign cars and it's not in there sold cars either. I'm pretty sure it was on Ebay too and a lot of times I check the dealers website to see if they have a price listed for it there. I also remember the other one they have and I think they had both of them at the same time which was funny seeing it's a rare color. If you look all the pictures are taken in front of Southern Motors building. The car is located now in Michigan too where Southern Motors is out of.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A 66ss Aztec Bronze went for 54K at BJ last thursday, I saw the car, looked nice and supposedly a ground up restoration with original drive train, same owner in Phoenix since new with documentation and all original body panels. But lots of restoration mistakes; but it was roped off should you couldn't get a real close look. All repo chrome and aluminum trim, filler panel painted wrong, a 65 impala radiator tank on top, that towanda sticker on cheap repo valve covers just to name a few things.

Maybe the vin tag has been removed; but it is true some tags had the round rivets. The hood might be original with a bad installation of the eyebrow moldings. That hood spear is puzzling, so a closer inspection from the underside would clear that up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts