Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions really...since it has obviously been off the car, does this look like a real tag or repop? Also, is there any way to match it up to tell if it is the right tag for the car?

· Registered
456 Posts
If memory serves, the first five digits of the VIN should read "13817" which is indicated on the second numerical line of the trim tag. These numbers should match. Maybe some of the '66 guys can chime in to verify my accuracy.

Also, check out this site: http://www.chevellestuff.com/1966/index.htm

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Two questions really...since it has obviously been off the car, does this look like a real tag or repop? Also, is there any way to match it up to tell if it is the right tag for the car?

It's possible to match the trim tag to a particular car but only if other paperwork for the car is found with the unique body number - 7802 in this case. I've seen CHASSIS BROADCAST COPY sheets as well as BODY BROADCAST COPY sheets for 66's but haven't found any numbers that correspond to anything on the trim tag so it's uncertain just what paperwork might be necessary.

Background: I know that 1967 Baltimore and Atlanta (and probably other plants) had trim sheets showing trim color/style, body color, group options, etc. and also contained the Job number, body number, and other 6-digit number found on those two plants' tags. No assembly sequence number appears though so it doesn't positively tie the trim tag to the car.

I know the same is true for 1966 Baltimore trim sheets but the only sample sheets and matching trim tags I have are for Baltimore. I'm sure other plants used these trim sheets, I just haven't found any yet.

Is the tag real? Probably, based on condition - although repops are getting better all the time.
Does it go with this particular car? No way to positively tell that I'm aware of.

· Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no paperwork on the car and since the tag has been removed that's why I was curious if it could be matched up to the car. As long as it looks like a legit tag, that's the main thing. Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,497 Posts
No way to tell if it positively matches, but you can compare the VIN assembly plant code and the sequence number to determine if it could possibly be matching. The VIN should indicate a Kansas assembly plant and the sequence number should fall in a certain range for the 02C body assembly date. Check the production information at Chevellestuff to see if your sequence numbers falls into the later part of February. You didn't mention your VIN so we can't do this for you.

You can also do some detective work to verify that the car originally had a black bucket interior and was Regal Red with a black vinyl top, tinted windshield, 4 speed transmission and console.

· Registered
57 Posts
Find another kansas built 02C SS and compare the last six digits of both vins along with the last four of the cowl tag. For example if the last six digits of your cowl tag is 7802 and you could find someone with a 7803 then the last six digits of your vin should be probably no more than a hundred cars ahead of the last six digits of the other vin. It doesn't have to be a 02C but the closer thee better and obviously it has to be an ss and kansas built.

· Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does have a Kansas vin and the last six are 157132. Looking at Dales website and if I'm reading it right, it appears that the last sequence number for Jan was 150978 and the last for Feb was 162260. If that is right it appears that the trim tag does fall in line with the vin...that's good. :) Everything else on the tag matches the car with the exception of the paint which has been changed to black. Thanks for the info!

· Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
6,882 Posts
There will be evidence of Regal Red paint, if you look hard enough. Do date code on the glass match build date. What about dates on other body panels. Did you check the frame vin? Are rivets on door pillar vin tag correct and never removed? Correct clips for a 4 speed? Lots of other stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.