Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone ever try to make the taillight extensions on a 66 out of sheet metal to make a one piece weld on?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One would have to have some skills because of all the compounds curves etc, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. Is the only benefit to get rid of the seam where they meet the body?

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, to get rid of the seam is the deal. If the right equipment was in hand, bead roller, shrinker - stretcher etc,

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
569 Posts
I think it would be a lot easier just to use filler to cover the seam.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Joe Martin did it on a customers chevelle (67 I believe) on Iron Resurrection

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Metal is shaped in three ways.
stretch
shrink
bend
that's it.

Food for thought, the Italians hand built some of the most beautiful cars using nothing more than a few hammers, a hunk of wood with various half circles dished out and few hand dollies.

If one doesn't have the knowledge to make it, you break it down into smaller pieces and weld them together.

Take pieces of paper and over lay on your ext. Break it down were you have sections of paper that fit with the least amount of folding or cutting slits.

1940 Ford hand built out of stainless steel. Notice the sheer number of pieces in the hood.

Wheel Tire Car Hood Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Car Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thought that too, with two dissimilar metals involved, the last thing you'd want is the filler to crack out.
nothing to do with dissimilar metals but everything to do with vibration.
it will crack.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nothing to do with dissimilar metals but everything to do with vibration.
it will crack.
Yes a lot of hand built Italian cars are amazing on the curves and such, some are works of art and very skilled with what they used to build them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts