Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a book or manual that gives data on the steering angle for a 66 chevelle? I'm concerned about the Camaro spindles I put on. I am in the process of fabricating some steering stops, so the inner tie rod end does not smack the oil pan on the pass. side. The max. steering angle I can get with about 1/8" clearance to the oil pan is 25 deg. This seems significantly less than what the car would have with the original spindles. Im guessing the original steering angle was around 40 deg. Anyone else who is using Camaro spindles notice this problem? The Camaro spindles have a 6.5" turning radius compared to the 5.75" rad. of the drum brake spindles I got, in terms of steering angle that's about a 15-20 deg loss! My chevelle will have about the same steering angle as my 1999 GMC pick-up! We all know how little those chevy pickups turn!

·
Registered
104 Posts
what year camaro spindles did you use? Gene..

------------------
Gene Callahan
Canoga Park Ca.
66 Conv.
Gold # 55
S.C.C.C.C

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner used 1978 Z28 spindles, however I realized one of them was bent, so I picked up some from a local junk yard. The ones I currently have on the car are from a 1979 Trans AM. The spindles are the same as the 78 Z28 spindles as far as the geometry & part #'s go, it's just that actual spindle where the bearings slide onto has a larger O.D. for the outer bearing. I just need to get different outer bearings. I need to make these stops because I can see that the previous owner dented the hell out of the LS-6 oil pan on the pass side due to the inner tie rod interference. I know that the pitman arm on the F-body cars is quite a bit longer, therefore the arms on the spindles are longer, but on my setup with a short pitman arm & long spindle arm, the tires turn more slowly & need more travel from the tie rods, creating this oil pan interference before the tires get to a 40 deg or so steering angle. Anyone understand what the hell I'm talking about? Oh, and I did use Hotchkis upper control arms, not that that would change the steering angle at all.

[This message has been edited by ETD66SS (edited 10-18-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
A better idea might be to pull the pan and notch it for clearance, I think its safer to leave the steering alone, never know when you may need that extra inch of travel!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used Global West upper arms and a Z28 steering box left the stops in the box and the inner tie rod zerk fitting almost touched the pan,thats on a SB lost a little turning radius no big deal.I left the fitting out plugged the hole,and install fitting to grease it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.