Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1966 Chevelle SS Convertible
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing install of a 396 BBC rebuild and a TH350 conversion in 1966 Chevelle SS. I didn't think to test fit the starter when the motor was on the stand (won't be making that mistake in the future). Upon bolting flex plate/torque converter I discovered that the starter/bendix appears to be too far from flex plate to mesh properly. Also, it appears the flex plate (while turning) may have actually scraped the bushing at the end of the pinion shaft, though I'm not fully sure about that.

1- The motor/block is original, the starter (with cross bolt pattern and proper mounting bolts as well as forward brace) is original.
2- The TH350 is not original obviously and the flex plate is a new Summit Brand 168 tooth flex plate Summit Racing SUM-G100SFI Summit Racing® SFI-Approved Flexplates | Summit Racing. The original flex plate was also a 168 tooth but wouldn't mount to the new torque converter.

I did do quite a bit of searching and research but I'm trying to eliminate trial and error if possible.

Question 1: Can I shim the original starter back towards flex plate? Who makes that kit?

Question 2: Would I be better off looking at a Powermaster/Mini starter that can be configured?

Question 3: Should I be suspicious of that new fly wheel? It appeared true when I mounted it etc but I wondered why it's sitting so much further back.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Machine tool
Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Musical instrument
Kitchen utensil Hand tool Tool Gas Metalworking

I know it's a lot I'm asking but I was hoping someone with similiar experience might way in.

Thanks.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a straight across starter. Staggered, but it does have that extra hole (3 total) in the starter and block but I'm pretty sure the hole in the block is not tapped.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply's. A little research shows the '70 BBC Delco Remy starter that meets the description is PN# 1108430.

Can any one out there with a '70 Chevelle AIM confirm this?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, not exactly numbers matching (though I’m saving everything that is) so going to a mini starter is a perfectly acceptable proposal, thank you but the original problem somewhat remains…which mini starter to order? That info pdf you linked should help but ultimately I may have to just call them and see if they can recommend a proper starter. I appreciate everyone trying to help me out here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.