Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was previously "offering" my '66 SS hardtop, but since I have sold my '66 convertible, I thought I'd keep an restore it myself...

BUT, one gentleman that was interested called and stopped by on Tuesday to take a look (he's from out of state and was passing through and wanted to see it).

Its a "solid" California car, original Marina Blue, orignal 4-speed/ black bucket seat/console car. Has the "passenger-side speedo cable clips" under the floor pan). Originally an L78 car, but no documentation (so a moot-point). Manual brakes and manual steering. Correct "finger guard" radiator. Stock wheels with New "bias ply" Redlines and dog dishes...

The car needs to be stripped of paint, and some minor bodywork done. NOTHING that should require any panel replacement...

There might be some rust down in the front and rear window channels, but not sure if it is just scale or will need a patch (exterior portions look good). Some scale on the trunk (mostly from a previous trunk-mount battery).

No rust/rot/bubbling in 1/4s, rockers, doors and fenders (actually "300 Deluxe" fenders). Floors are solid. Hood has some surface rust and hood pin holes. Glass is all intact and appears original, BUT rear has some scratches (I think). Lots of trim but most is "drivers quality" or nice cores (have a set of NOS wheel opening mouldings).

Has the original 12-bolt (was 3.73, now 3.42 posi), replacement Muncie in good shape. "444" bellhousing, low mileage clutch/flywheel, etc (all out of my covertible with about 3500 miles when I converted to a 5-speed). I also have a Correct casting (well, for '66 but not L78; 961block/702heads) long block (supposedly "running" when I got it last year but no guarantee), stock exh manifolds, "069" aluminum manifold, L78 carb (incorrect date), L78 WP pully and idler pulley setup, water pump and some misc pieces.

nice "core" bucket seats, factory in-dash guages with harness (nice, usuable shape). I also have a factory "L78" specific tach in MINT condition... Console is missing...

I was going to restore this to "stock" condition (with a radio block-off, heater delete panels I have). basically an L78 but built stripped for drag racing(buckets, no console, heater delete, no radio, no power steering or brakes... Just guages, knee-knocker, buckets and the L78 (and maybe a Cowl Plenum Air Cleaner)...

This will be a long tern and expensive project, but I will also have some other cars to have fun with...

Anyway, I had previously been "asking" $12K (but only in a free ad on this site)... Now that I don't NEED to sell, I am thinking that might be a little low... Now that I sold my convert, I can afford to buy something fun, and have some money to start on this project...

I have no idea IF the potential buyer will even offer that much, and some pieces (like tach, heater delete and radio block off) I might keep... I don't plan on advertising again (at least not unitl I had it running, but that will be months)...

Opinions...

Naturally, a finished car will go for alot more, but I'd need to put alot of time and money into this car... Doing my own labor, and not including paint, I have estimated $7k-$10K to get it very nice...

· Registered
Central Iowa
1,933 Posts
Fairly solid cal car with most of the parts you mentioned...
15Gs easy! If they dont like it then the price goes up a couple more Gs!!!. Dont forget what you have, and let them TRY to find another in decent cond let alone the 138 cars.

We all know secretly that the 66 and 67s are getting very hard to find and now that the prices have went crazy on the hard to document cars. These cars will go up up in price fairly soon! Not to mention they are truely cool cars. JMO

I have one that I would indeed likely cry if I sold it even if someone would give me 20Gs and have been offerd that before without original engine.

· Premium Member
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone else?

I can't see selling unless i could get another '66 (even just a Malibu) but it seems like those are over $10K for projects...

Then again, maybe I could afford to get that '66 Corvette I've been dreaming about? Probably not...

Maybe I'll tell the guy I want $12K+ AND a solid '66 Malibu builder (clear title/no rot)... That might work for me...

· Registered
9,504 Posts
Chances are if he had a "solid 66 Malibu builder" he wouldn't be looking at yours. I hate when people ask for some unobtanum to go in with the deal knowing full well they don;t have it.

Just shoot him a price that you want & see if he jumps.

LK

· Premium Member
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chances are if he had a "solid 66 Malibu builder" he wouldn't be looking at yours.
Uh, NO... Chances are, IF you go back and read my post, you'd see that mine is a true SuperSport (not a Malibu)... That is the reason he wants it... He has mentioned a business "partner" several times, and that they restore Chevelles... So he very well might have access to a "Malibu" shell that might only be a parts car, etc...

I hate when people ask for some unobtanum to go in with the deal knowing full well they don;t have it.
Just shoot him a price that you want & see if he jumps.
A nice malibu shell is no where near "unobtainium"... Prices for even Malibu projects are usually high because most people are looking to make a profit off this market. Chances are probably pretty good that IF this guy has been into restoring Chevelles for a while, he might have a good collection of parts/parts cars that didn't cost a fortune...

And whats wrong with asking for unobtainium anyway? If I want to ask for a complete LS6 convertible as a straight across trade, its my perogative... Not very realistic...
Thats my case. I don't have to sell it at all. I don't care about "true SS" or not, but I know it might be difficult to find a suitable replacement project (I love '66 Chevelles)...

Sorry, lack of sleep...

· Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
7,658 Posts
Keep it, restore it, have fun! :yes: Sounds like it has a lot of potential.

I'd really like to know how many REAL '66 SS cars are left. It's MHO that an awful lot of them were used up in circle track racing, etc. I know I've got one. I think I'll keep it 'til they pry the keys out of my cold, dead hands.

· Premium Member
14,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I have been asking only 2 grand for my 66 project and not even a bite. Guess I need to ask 10,lol
The guy came by last night and made an offer of $8K cash, AND he didn't want my '66 396, Muncie, clutch or L78 carb (I figure thats probably $1000 plus if I sell those myself)... He said his friend would be in the area in a few weeks, and probably will want another look...

I am probably going to keep it...

I thought about it last night, and decided since its NOT Matching Numbers, I will "restore" to "stock" looks, except I'll add disc brakes and nicer 17" wheels (probably the same setup as my convertible)...

· Registered
975 Posts
Wow, I have been asking only 2 grand for my 66 project and not even a bite. Guess I need to ask 10,lol
dgwar, any pic's? I would sell my 65 to get a 66 or 7.....but it would have to be good beginner class.....for dumb mutts like myself that don't have to weld,cut and do body work.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.