Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
66 SS Nova Updated with PIC!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I know this is not the Nova site but I'll try anyway. I recently located a 66 Nova SS the cowl tag shows 118 but the vin shows 117 which indicates a SS six banger car. The cars is in great in VERY good condition with one repaint of the original color of Ermine white. The interior is also the original, Turqouise with bucket seats and console.

The car currently has a 383 stroker and a turbo 350. The rearend is a Ford 9 inch with 3.73 posi, has sub frame connectors and a new set of 15" rally wheels and has a very nice stance to it. The car does NOT have power brakes or power steering (Does come with a complete Power brake conversion kit.) The car has NO rust and the body is very straight with a nice glassy clear coat. The stainless is all original and has been removed and polished. All glass is excellent.

The car is well documented with Protecto Plate, Buildsheet and orignal invoice.:thumbsup:

The car had no major options with the exception of tinted glass, metallic brakes and power glide trans.

I do not have any pics of the car and I know this is a Chevelle site (I do have two 66 Chevelles if that makes it any better LOL):yes: . Anyways with the above description can anyone estimate a value on a car like this, I know I do not see many of these around, even at large car shows.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
117 vin 6 cylinder SS Nova's are fairly rare. From your description it sounds like there is nothing left of the original drivetrain which will hurt value to some. I would guess value to be at around 15k but could go higher(20k) depending on quality of all work preformed. With the documentation you mentioned it should clarify the 6 cylinder as being original. I'm sure it would be a fun car to drive and they hook extremely well. Some parts for these cars are hard to come by and there isn't as many repo. parts available.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Nice car. I saw that same car, I believe this am, with a for sale sign on it in Cleveland GA? I remarked to my passengers, "Wow, look a real nice Nova SS for sale". Wanted to stop on the way back through but it was pouring the rain.
Herbie

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Any idea what happened to all the SS body side moldings? Did the weld up all the holes? I've owned a few 67 SS Nova's and I know those moldings are very hard to come by. Any better pics of the rear trunk panel molding. Love the looks of those cars.....sweet......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More Pics of the car. I do not know if this car had side moldings, I have seen them on 67's but not on 66's. I'm seriously considering a trade for this car. I would give him my 69 RS Camaro and would get this car and an unkown amount of cash at this point. I'm to the point with my Camaro where it seems like nearly everyone has one. I love my car but would really like to be different at cruise nights and the local car shows. What do you think am I crazy for considering this trade????????

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Kinda, Fact is camaros are still worth more. I guess it depends on your camaro. I love Nova's though, and I think having the small block v8 increases value over a 6 banger, even if it were original. You oviously are tired of having the camaro, trade him or sell it and buy the nova, that way you are happy. Someone else will be happy with your camaro.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
These cars go for low 20s in nice condition, the fact that it is missing all the lower SS trim will hurt the value. Yes, ALL 66 SS's had the lower rocker trim. If your Camaro is in good shape I wouldnt trade, the Camaro is probably worth more.
Ron

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I went and checked the Nova out yesterday with a couple of buddies. The car is really nice, the interior is real clean and the paint and body are pretty good although it is a white car. Under carriage and running geare were also nice along with very nice stainless.

The down sides are the following. It has a custom made oil pan on it with VERY little ground clearnce around 3 to 4 inches. The owner installed a crappy used Holley carb and the motor had an odd sounding dull knock coming from the passenger side bank. It did not sound like the lower end, maybe the valves were out of adjustment.

After checking the car out the owner came to my house and checked out my 69 RS Camaro that is real nice condition, not perfect but a sweet car IMO. He said he really liked it and told me he would call me when he got home. Sure enough the phone rang about an hour later.

So the guy starts of by saying he wanted to trade straight across, I'm no fool and quickly said NO WAY. To make a long story short we ended the conversation with him offering his car and 2 to 3 grand in cash. I declined the deal feeling like I would need to get more cash out of the deal.

Does it sound like I did the right thing or should I have taken the car and cash in trade for my Camaro?????????????????????????

Thanks

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
You made the right call, Camaro's are really hot right now (especially 69's) - I wouldn't worry about it. If I were you I would try & keep the camaro. Not that the Nova is not nice but I feel the Camaro will gain in value more than the Nova.

LK

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
You did the right thing. The "dull knock" scares me a little. I've seen strange things put into the oil to hide a rod knock.
Keep the Camaro. Or sell it, then go find a nice nova without a KNOCK.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Is it just me or does the front left fender look a little bit off on the color?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have climbed all over this car and the paint matches on all panels. The owner of the car has called several times and has uped the offer with more cash and some parts for one of my 66's in trade. I'm considering it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts