Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Do any of have experience with using the Performer RPM intake under a stock '66 SS hood? I'm wondering if I have clearance for this or whether I should go with the Performer, or Wieand Stealth.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
648 Posts
Stan I had asked the same question about a year ago. I got conflicting results. Some said it would work if you used the right air cleaner to go with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stan,

I have a 66 ss396 & i'm running the Edelbrock RPM package. Hood clearance really is pitifull for these years of cars. I have a 2" air cleaner on mine with a large drop base plate and this is the biggest i can go. I'm having problems with mine since the carb vents do not have alot of clearance to the air cleaner lid. I've tried several air cleaners, but haven't found any that work & also fit. I'm most likely putting on a glass hood this winter to solve my problems and also give me some more room under there.

Good luck, you'll love the power that the RPM makes.

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396 www.chevelles.com/feature/september99.html
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Its funny that you ask. I asked this question myself 2 or 3 times about my 66 also. I completed a bunch of top end work on the 396 in my 66ss about 2 weeks ago and am happy to report that a Weiand Stealth will fit under a ss hood with the 3 inch GM air cleaner. How close it is I dont know yet because the car is in storage for the season. Good thing cause I bought the Stealth before I realized the possible clearance issues, and the chrome lid is probably the original because its finish is kind of dull and scratched. When the car comes out of storage in the spring I will take some putty or clay or whetever to find out exactly how much space is actually between the two. The hood fits w/the combo, (I had the hood off and is now back on).

Chris R.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Chris, I went ahead and bought the Weiand Stealth and it is currently being gasket-matched at the machine shop where the block and heads are at. I expect to get it all back together no later than February - so feel free to check with me on the results if you like.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a Performer RPM with a Speed Demon carberator and a a drop-base air cleaner with a standard 4-inch element. Barely fits, but thats all that counts.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Thanks Stan, I had my Stealth gasket matched also. Also had a set of 454 #781 heads ported also.

Chris R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.