Team Chevelle banner

66 SS heater core removal-Any tips? Any advice?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  meesh 
Finished this last month on my 67 w/AC. Part of a winter project to change the dash strip (yuk).

I took the seats out. 4 bolts each and you have a lot of room. Also you can pull back the carpeting easier.

Got the 'hidden' bolt out with an open end wrench. Tough but it came out

Glove box out. Push back up, bottom towards dash, slides down, open part facing the floor. I had AC so the duct hose had to come out first.

Outside bolts off, box pulls out. I had AC so I had the heater box seal to the kick panel area. Seems obvious but tip the heater box up when taking out so the anit-freeze doesn't all run out in the car.

Core was in the box with a bracket. I thought you had to remove the bracket but I found out later that if you just push the strap off the end of the core - it is like a pressure fit. Slides on and off to get the core out. That was 67 though, not sure 66 is the same.

I also found that the last guy ripped out the firewall insulation where the heater box goes. SO - I replaced that (which started a whole different chain of events. ha

New heater core can come with a seal kit if you want. By the way, if you get that kit, the square pieces are for the heater doors, to be glued on. I skipped it but figured it out too late anyway.

Seal kit comes with a seal for the outside box. So you end up taking that off the firewall to reseal.

I cleaned up the heater box, in and out, repainted, white grease on the door hinges, etc.......

Also, the seal kit did not come with the rubber deal that wraps around the 2 heater core outlet pipes. Not sure why not. Hinshaw said his set did not either. SO take the old one off carefully, you have to re-use it.

Hope something here helps.......Wish I took pics, but didn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.