Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring my 66 SS396/360HP chevelle. The car came with a speedo clock & no console. The previous owner put in a console and I'd like to keep it. I would also like to put in the SS gauge cluster & a knee knocker tach. I also need a good console clock. As far as I know, nobody sells repos of these gauges right? I want to know what I'll need to make the conversion, and what to look for in these gauges. Anyone with a link to a website that goes into great detail on these gauges would be a great help. I like to research the hell out of stuff before I buy it, and from the prices on the parts page, I'm probably looking at around $1000 to get good components.

Exactly what gauges go in the dash? Temp, Oil, Fuel? A picture would certainly help.

·
Registered
934 Posts
ETD,

I have some pics on my site of the tach and guages.

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/66_chevelle_fact.html

Don't know the going rate on the dash guages but I have been seeing knee knocker tachs being available for around $350.00 Whether they sell at that price I don't know.

Good luck,

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Premium Member
17,551 Posts
To do the job right, you will need the under dash wiring harness for a guage car, as well as both the forward wiring harnesses (lights and engine). You also need to get a temp sender for the guage. I am pretty sure the sender is different, but it is the same as some older vettes ('66). Also, you'll want to get the plastic lens that covers the speedo. There should be no hole when the guages are in place. There are repro lens available, but I don't know what their quality is.
For the tach, you also need the correct harness, which is available repro'd. An assembly manual is also helpful, especially for properly determining the tach mounting location. There are also several different Tach faces. I know the face on most of the tachs I have, and have seen differ from the ones on Mr409's link. I have seen that face (with the "atomic" symbol) on one '66 Chevelle, and I was told that was a dealer installed accessory tach, but might also have been an "early " or "late" production variation. That tach also had a slightly different housing, but the same mounting location.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing with my 67 but I thought I had read in an old posting that the factory one weren't as good as the aftermarket ones that you hang from the bottom of the dash? Could be wrong? Has anyone heard about this? Hey ETD66SS let me know if you find anything out on this. Thanks

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.