Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every site I go to doesn't have 66 Regal Red. I am changing the striker out on driver side and mine is painted color of the car.I'd like to spray bomb it. The replacement is black... Also wouldn't mine having a lil bottle for touch ups
Can anyone help?
I tried to post in BODY,site wont let me..

Thanks for your help, maybe it is listed as a different color.
Frankjr8

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Another option is to remove the paint entirely from both strikers. They were not painted from the factory. IMO, the car would look much nicer with detailed strikers instead of painted ones.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Another option is to remove the paint entirely from both strikers. They were not painted from the factory. IMO, the car would look much nicer with detailed strikers instead of painted ones.
Same ol' argument, let's see where this one lands. I've torn into plenty of orig. paint cars and they all showed painted remains on the strikers. ALL strikers including the trunk were painted with the entire car after installation. I won't disagree on the appeal of unpainted strikers though, that's a personal preference. I chose to paint mine on the 66 and just left the landing bushing unpainted. I like that look.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Same ol' argument, let's see where this one lands. I've torn into plenty of orig. paint cars and they all showed painted remains on the strikers. ALL strikers including the trunk were painted with the entire car after installation. I won't disagree on the appeal of unpainted strikers though, that's a personal preference. I chose to paint mine on the 66 and just left the landing bushing unpainted. I like that look.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry, but I'll respectfully agree to disagree. I've dug into a bunch of unrestored, original paint cars myself & NONE of them had a trace of paint on the door strikers. This includes my dad's original paint, 21,000 mile 73 Nova SS which he bought new. It also includes my 42,000 mile '67 Malibu which I had 19 years, & the 75,000 mile '67 300 that I am currently building. Both of them were original paint cars, but neither had paint on the door strikers.

Door latches, I've seen a few with paint, door strikers, not one. Not saying it didn't happen, I just haven't come across any.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've never had painted strikers on my original paint '66s or '67s. On the other hand,I've scraped paint off more than a few other cars.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,287 Posts

Jerry
Thinking the paint shop painted a bunch of fenders, hoods, door, and truck separate from body and on different days. Then Fisher body plant installed doors, trunks, interior, etc. Then car went to the assembly plant to get finished. Didn't the Fisher plant installed the strikers and the doors after car was painted. But door hinge's were painted body color; but when?

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
But door hinge's were painted body color; but when?
The doors were installed at Fisher Body & then the car was painted. Fenders weren't installed until the assembly line at the GM plant, so the door hinges were exposed when the car was painted at Fisher Body.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
The doors were installed at Fisher Body & then the car was painted. Fenders weren't installed until the assembly line at the GM plant, so the door hinges were exposed when the car was painted at Fisher Body.
Agreed Pete and this is confirmed with pics on the assembly line. As for the strikers, I'm thinking fisher used a door support rod that attached to the striker and the latch to keep the door ajar a few inches after paint was applied. It only makes sense that the striker had to be installed at the time of painting otherwise they would have no way to keep the door stationary but not closed after jambing and then painting the exterior.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I checked this site and their listing of 1966 Aztec Bronze is nowhere near my color, must be a typo.
Don't rely on your monitor to represent the color. All I know is you can't tell where I touched up with their paint. Although I have seen many different flavors of AB on this site...it works for mine.

(note: looking at their site...the color chip is a bad example of AB)

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Unless your not too fussy, you will probably be disappointed with the color match of any spray can or touch up bottle.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't rely on your monitor to represent the color. All I know is you can't tell where I touched up with their paint. Although I have seen many different flavors of AB on this site...it works for mine.

(note: looking at their site...the color chip is a bad example of AB)
I don't doubt it worked for you, I'm just saying that AB color chip on their site is nowhere near any variations of AB I have seen or to have anything to do with my monitor. I will however contact them for a spray can of touch up paint. Glad it worked out for you.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,287 Posts
Lets not forget, the door latches and 3 mounting bolts were never painted, there is always paint beneath the bolts.
What about paint beneath the strikers? Fisher certainly could have had some sort of a brace that was easy to mount to the door and body that was easily removed when installing the latch and striker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts