Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all convertible guys...
I need some help. I am recovering the rear seat in a 66 vert and the seat back is missing a lot of metal. Specifically the bottom edgewire piece on the seat back. I believe the top leaked on this car and it sat outside for a long while, floor pans were gone, seat bottom has had the frame rebuilt bc it was partially missing.

So what I am looking for is someone to measure their seat. Hopefully it has no cover on it, but I'll take what I can get. Top to bottom dimensions, edge wire to edge wire.

I will post pics later today showing the damage.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Actually pretty simple for an Auto Upholstery shop to fix with new edge wire and springs.
If you can sandblast the frame and clean it up, it will be good as new.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually pretty simple for an Auto Upholstery shop to fix with new edge wire and springs.
If you can sandblast the frame and clean it up, it will be good as new.
Agreed. I am doing the upholstery myself, which is why I need the dimensions to repair what's missing. I am going to have the frame chem-dipped, have a place in town that does it cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I'll jump in since no one else has. From a '67 convert upper seat WITH UPHOLSTERY, the dimension I believe you are looking for, top to bottom about 21"-21 1/2", a little hard to be accurate with the cover installed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll jump in since no one else has. From a '67 convert upper seat WITH UPHOLSTERY, the dimension I believe you are looking for, top to bottom about 21"-21 1/2", a little hard to be accurate with the cover installed.

Good Luck!
Thank you! Can you please measure the seat across at the top and bottom as well? I'm guessing it's in the 46" range.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Sure thing Scott. It actually tapers top to bottom. Measured on the outside, 44" at the top, 45" at the "dog leg" or jog of the frame work, 46 1/2" at the frame bottom, and the upholstery at the bottom spreads out to about 47" at the face.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure thing Scott. It actually tapers top to bottom. Measured on the outside, 44" at the top, 45" at the "dog leg" or jog of the frame work, 46 1/2" at the frame bottom, and the upholstery at the bottom spreads out to about 47" at the face.
Thanks again. I have a drawing that I will post dimensions so the next guy will find them easily!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what are you doing for the cover? I have a rear seat that is not correct, if I'm going to recover it, might as well make it correct for the 66.

I know you can buy bucket seat skins, foam, etc... don't know if you can get the rear skin.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but what are you doing for the cover? I have a rear seat that is not correct, if I'm going to recover it, might as well make it correct for the 66.

I know you can buy bucket seat skins, foam, etc... don't know if you can get the rear skin.
Karl,
This is a convertible seat which is a different width from a hardtop/coupe seat. You can buy the rear seat cover, they are relatively cheap, getting the right amount of cotton batting or foam is the trick to making sure it looks good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts