Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question,
I have a 66 Chevelle, and it has a 67 steering wheel in it. Does that mean I also have a 67 steering column? I am about to buy a wood wheel for it an I dont know if I need to buy a 67 or can I still go with a 2-spoke 66 wheel? Another question, I already have a 67 wood wheel hub, if I use it, can I put a 66 wood wheel on it? The steering column in my car is an absolutely mint tilt set-up, so I don't want to get rid of it.
Will camaro and corvette wheels and hubs fit a Chevelle??
Thanks,
Dan

[This message has been edited by 66 Chevelle SS (edited 09-25-99).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dan, I think the steering wheels are the same it's just the horn ring & button that's differant. Look under the hood, if your shaft to the steering box is round you have a 66. If it's flat on two sides it's a 67. I heard that 67 columns won't fit 66's. Something about being collaspable?? Hang on to what you have and try to fit the wheel to it. I don't know if the other models will fit. If the spline is the same, try to set up the horn and turn signal to see if it works. Make sure everythings cool before a road test. Hope I helped ya, Rick..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
true 67 hub will have a small diameter with a head with a slot that comes out of it about two in long about 1/8 deep
The depth is for the ctr spoke on a three bar chevelle
If you will look on bottom of wheel one spoke steps down in the ctr the amt of spoke.
The 66 will mount differently at the dash one being flat against the dash the other at a angle. Also the 67 will have a 4 way emergency flasher button where as the 66 does not.
The hub on a 66 is completely flat with no slot.
If your has slot and happens to be a 67 head use a spacer under the width of in a circilar pattern
Actually on the corvette forum you can buy one. I would be interested in your old three bar PM me I would also lke to buy a corvair 66 two bar rosewood 15 inches in diameter Identical except for correct 66 chevelle is better than 16 inches in diameter I have a OEM one perfect I would trade for a proper corvair whl LMK

PS. So you can use your two bar either way.
It would be difficult wo changing dash mounts to put a 67 column in a 66 with a 66 dash? LMK

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
true 67 hub will have a small diameter with a head with a slot that comes out of it about two in long about 1/8 deep
The depth is for the ctr spoke on a three bar chevelle
If you will look on bottom of wheel one spoke steps down in the ctr the amt of spoke.
The 66 will mount differently at the dash one being flat against the dash the other at a angle. Also the 67 will have a 4 way emergency flasher button where as the 66 does not.
The hub on a 66 is completely flat with no slot.
If your has slot and happens to be a 67 head use a spacer under the width of in a circilar pattern
Actually on the corvette forum you can buy one. I would be interested in your old three bar PM me I would also lke to buy a corvair 66 two bar rosewood 15 inches in diameter Identical except for correct 66 chevelle is better than 16 inches in diameter I have a OEM one perfect I would trade for a proper corvair whl LMK

PS. So you can use your two bar either way.
It would be difficult wo changing dash mounts to put a 67 column in a 66 with a 66 dash? LMK
Mine had a 67 column in it when I first bought it. The 67 is much larger and won't fit in the dash correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.