Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys -

I've got the original Pertronix 1 and the matching coil on my '66 396. It's running quite well except for an occasional "hiccup" at cruise - 40-50 mph.

So I'm wondering - Do I still need the cloth-covered resistance wire that comes out of the firewall harness bulkhead and goes to coil + side? If not, what do I do with it - tape it off?

Thanks! :D

· Premium Member
7,996 Posts
I have a Pertronix in my one owner 70 SS 454 M-22 El Camino. For years I used the resistance wire, It is OK, BUT will act like a rev. Limiter. WHY ???
It is only getting 7-8 Volts. This year I hid a wire from the dash fuse box to the coil. I used a factory Chevy plug on the fuse box, And pluged it in to the " IGN " outlet. This outlet is hot on crank and run.
The org PINK res. wire I cut it where it come out of the harness, under the brake booster and installed a male and a female ends. Now I am running 12 Vts. all the time to the Dist., And if I go back to the org. points.
Un plug the 12 Vt. under the dash and plug in the PINK wire (that has the factory connectors) under the booster and it is ALL ORG. again.
Runs a lot better when the RPMs climb. NOTE-- ALL Plugs and wire ends from ORG. 70 Used harness. NO after market wire ends. All connectors are 70 Chevelle. When the job is done it all looks Origional.
Bob ACES--AACA:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Pertronix in my one owner 70 SS 454 M-22 El Camino. For years I used the resistance wire, It is OK, BUT will act like a rev. Limiter. WHY ???
It is only getting 7-8 Volts. This year I hid a wire from the dash fuse box to the coil.

That's what I thought - I read somewhere that there isn't full voltage to the coil thru the resistance wire in order to make the points last longer. (or something like that)

Thanks for the bypass tips, Bob - I appreciate it! :D :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.