Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres a photo of my 66 gas tank mockup.

I put two foam blocks on the trunk, then the foam pad.

Then set the tank straps in place and set the tank in place.

Got a longer bolt and worked the straps into place and into shape.

Finally, took the straps loose and glued the two tar paper strips that go under the straps onto the tank.

Installed the sending unit and pickup. Took it apart, put the tank back in the box and will put some spray paint over the epoxy primer on the bottom of the trunk.

Outdoor bench Plant Outdoor furniture Wood Shade

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I'm pretty sure the black straps are designed to install on top of the tank against the trunk supports.

Reactions: RAIDER SS

·
Premium Member
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so, but theres a full size foam pad that goes there....

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,822 Posts
I too understood the black straps go between the tank and the trunk supports. That is how my Malibu came, and I'm pretty confident it was the original tank.+

Where did you see you need a full size foam pad?

·
Premium Member
Vancouver BC Canada
2,318 Posts
Yes I had and still have 3 thick pads of tar stuff 😲 that went between the tank and bottom side of the truck... Going back that way too!

Reactions: Muscle65

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 66 (Baltimore) also had nothing between the straps and tank, only the 2 ling thick pads on the top of the tank. I notice a lot of guys add the strap pads these days.

·
Premium Member
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I will be moving the tar paper strips to the bottom of the trunk. Its the way the assembly manual shows them, but it does not show the large piece of foam that came in the kit.

I assumed that the foam went between the tank and trunk floor, but did not think the tar paper strips went there too.

A serious look at the original tank shows them on top, although with a lot of asphalt cement or tar, that looks like someone else added it. Finally look hard enough to see the paper strips

So changing....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts