Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a long time ago I printed out an article from this site somewhere, sort of a step-by-step how to remove and redo a dash. Am I imagining that, or does anyone know of such an article and where to find it?

Or, does anyone have any pointers on how to do this, what order to disassemble and reassemble the dash, guages, trim and pad?

Thanks.
Ed.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well, some advice that I can offer, is do not destroy your pad while removing it. You are going to want to send it off to Just Dashes to get restored, as thee REPO pads are absolute crap!

Do you have an assembly manual?

Oh yeah, it's a hell of a lot easier to do if you remove the steering column, rather than trying to work around it...

·
Registered
764 Posts
once you lower the steering column, remove the screws along the top (painted side) of the dash. Should be about a dozen of those. Disconnect cables to heater box, elec connectors to radio, spedo cable etc. Underneath, you'll find 2 braces. Only have to take bolts off of dash end of them. Best to pull glove box door, and carboard insert. Dash will/should drop down enough to remove elec connectors to switches across top. Holler at me if you need more info...had mine out about 4 times now.
Brian

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to having it out and on my workbench. I have all new trim and a great replacement speedo cluster that I bought over a year ago -- mine looks like crap. New chrome, even new ignition switch, I guess that stuff will be easy enough, just unplug the old and plug in the new (after paint, of course).
Ed.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I set a couple of milk crates on the floor boards w/old pillows on them to set the dash on as you remove it and finish disconnecting wires and cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts